2mm Supermeet - 25th June 2016

2mm Andy

As it is now just over one month away, I have been asked to start a thread here on the 2mm summer event, which is taking place this year in Tutbury, near to Burton-on-Trent.

Date :

Saturday 25th June 2016.Opening times approx. 1030 to 1600. Admission £5-00.

Venue:

Tutbury Village Hall, Monk Street, Tutbury, DE13 9NA.

There is limited parking at the hall, but several free car parks are located a short walk away in the village. Tutbury station (on the Derby-Crewe line) is approx. 800m from the venue, and has an hourly train service in each direction. There is also a regular bus service from Burton-on-Trent.

Layouts

'Modbury' - Ian Smith's GWR layout set in South Devon at the turn of the century, complete with baulk road trackwork.

'South Yard' - Andy Carlson will be bringing his compact layout depicting a small yard in the Plymouth area.

'Yeovil Town' - Laurie Adams' project depicting this ex-GWR/SR country station (displayed as a work in progress complete with working shunting tractor).

'Minories' - Alan Whitehouse and Mick Simpson will be displaying this layout fresh from their 'Finescale in 48 hours' endeavours at Railex 2016.

'Mayfield Street' - David Long. Final appearance before retirement of this compact BR late 1960s shunting layout.

'Colwyn Bay Goods' - Bryn Davies' has kindly agreed to bring his layout set in 1970s North Wales.

'British Oak' micro layout - Richard Caunt's interpretation of the layout project featured in the 2mm Beginner's Guide.

Traders

2mm Scale Association Central Shop

N Brass Loco

A.C.Sissling (tools and materials)

Demonstrations

David Eveleigh - etched rolling stock construction (David will have some of his etches for sale). David's layout 'Framsden' (which was awarded first place in the 2mm Golden Jubilee Layout Challenge in 2010) will also be on static display.

Nigel Hunt - loco building (Nigel will have some of his etches for sale)

Keith Armes - Templot and track/point construction

There will also be a few tables with the various 2mm odds and ends on offer as well.

Catering:

Sandwiches, cakes, etc. will be available at lunchtime, with tea and coffee available throughout the day. There are pubs, cafes and a fish and chip shop in Tutbury village centre if visitors want something a little more substantial (Tutbury also has it's own model shop). Tutbury is also having an open gardens weekend for those of you with green fingers.

If anyone needs any more information then please ask and I'll do my best to get answers.

Andy Hanson

Chairman, 2mm Scale Association

Is this members only?

Or can a lapsed member come along and rejoin, parting with hard earned readies in the process

Regards

Ian

Ian,

Apologies for the delay replying. The Supermeet is open to all, so feel free to come along and rejoin the Association. I'll make sure that we have some membership forms available on the day.

Andy

When I click on the link to the Tutbury model shop, I get a maleware warning, are you sure the address is correct?

It's a link to the UK modelshops website. I've just tried it again now and it works OK with no warnings.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Last year Mike Raithby kindly gave me several double shoe-sized boxes of his 2mm modelling parts for disposal as I saw fit. The boxes contained rtr models (some complete, others in bits), loco and rolling stock kits and components, track components and tools, transfers, and scenic items etc. A lot of these items have now been acquired by myself and other members I know personally but there is still a fair bit left. I intend to take these remaining bits with me to Tutbury for anyone to have a browse and pick up bits of interest to them.

Nig H

I'm considering coming to the Supermeet this year (my first for a long time), despite the four-hour drive each way from east Cornwall...

So is there anyone else on this forum who is also going from this neck of the woods, and with whom I could share the petrol costs? 

The 2mm mag just arrived and there is very little info on the Supermeet compared with what's listed above.

Isn't the NL supposed to be the full official note for the Association and be a reference for future years?

Unfortunately I cannot manage to attend the event as I'd have to rely on a lift. I decided a while ago best I give up driving due to failing sight and dodgy legs! 

I will really miss seeing Lighterman's Yard at Chatham in a couple of weeks so wish them a successful time.

Andrew

The 2mm mag just arrived and there is very little info on the Supermeet compared with what's listed above.

Isn't the NL supposed to be the full official note for the Association and be a reference for future years?

Unfortunately I cannot manage to attend the event as I'd have to rely on a lift. I decided a while ago best I give up driving due to failing sight and dodgy legs! 

I will really miss seeing Lighterman's Yard at Chatham in a couple of weeks so wish them a successful time.

Andrew

Unfortunately a lot of the information on layouts, traders, etc. was only able to be confirmed after the newsletter had gone to press. Several of the layouts on the original line-up have had to pull out due to various issues outside of our control, so if the information had have gone into the newsletter then much of it would have been wrong. The website has now been updated (thanks Nigel) with the latest details which match those I posted here, and I'll shortly be putting a note on the 2mm yahoo group.

I'm sure that a full write-up will appear in the next magazine, complete with a selection of pictures for those unable to attend.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I so wish this was closer I'd love to go

Brian

Me too. 800 yards (a mile there and back) is probably too far for me to limp and hobble and driving means you can't indulge in 'refreshments'.

Perhaps the next one will be more convenient for me. Fingers crossed.

G

Guest bri.s

Me too. 800 yards (a mile there and back) is probably too far for me to limp and hobble and driving means you can't indulge in 'refreshments'.

Perhaps the next one will be more convenient for me. Fingers crossed.

G

Haha lucky sod ,if I had a car I'd probably get to it I did get to DEMU last year but this years a bit tight finance wise

You could always get some one else to drive then you could have some refreshments

Brian

I've just added a couple more details to the line-up for the Supermeet - one extra layout, more details added to one of the demos and couple of other bits of info.

Hi Andy,

Thanks. But errr... I seem to remember that the layout project which featured in the 2mm Beginner's Guide was Mark Fielder's version of 'British Oak', not Richard Caunt's. So which one will appear at the Supermeet?

• RMweb Gold

The Beginner's Guide incarnation of British Oak is currently in my workshop, undergoing some tidying up and will be getting further scenic treatment. I'm hoping to get it ready for the AGM in October.

I'll be interested to see Richard's interpretation. The Beginner's Guide encouraged a few layouts to be built, which is gratifying.

Work has also resumed on my Farish conversion of a Poole Farish Jinty to represent ex-BR 45445 as used at British Oak. Looking forward to painting it orange!

Mark

Hi Andy,

Thanks. But errr... I seem to remember that the layout project which featured in the 2mm Beginner's Guide was Mark Fielder's version of 'British Oak', not Richard Caunt's. So which one will appear at the Supermeet?

Phil. It is a layout built by Richard Caunt and based on the 'British Oak' micro-layout design that Mark Fielder described and built in the last 2mm Beginners Guide. It may even be called 'British Oak' but I'm not totally sure, as I didn't write down all the information given to me at the time, and had to type from memory.

Hope that (and Mark's reply) clears up any confusion?

Andy

Archived