RMweb

Model Rail's The Art of Modelling

dibber25

Model Rail's The Art of Modelling is published on May 26 price £4.99

The world’s best railway modellers showcase their creations, while Model Rail’s team of experts show you how to achieve such results. This exclusive title is sure to inspire the modelling artist in you!

Featuring the work of: Allan Downes, Pelle Søeborg, Marcel Ackle, Chris Nevard, Joey Ricard, Jack Boskett, Jim Smith-Wright, Bill Michaels, Tom Foster, and Dave Shakespeare.

Layouts: ‘Terminus’, ‘Bucks Hill’, ‘Albion Yard’, ‘Pempoul’, ‘Tormouth’, and ‘Pendon’.

We Show You How To:

Paint like the pros, compose a realistic scene, make a great waterfall, create surface finishes, paint realistic figures, create exterior finishes, build your own castle, and paint animals.

post-1062-0-13168500-1464174014_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I saw this in W H Smith, Paddington just after it was published, liked it, but didn't have sufficient funds.

I strolled in there last Friday to make amends and found just one copy left - unfortunately, the rear cover was badly creased due to mishandling, so it stayed on the shelf!

However, I managed to order one online today (post free) and just have to wait for Postie to do his stuff....

Regards

Dan

Very impressed with this publication.

Excellent pictures and text.

OK  Some of it's been published before but overall very good. vast improvement over GREAT BRITISH MODEL RAILWAYS.

The US and European layouts exceptionally good - can we see more of them please. .

The US and European layouts exceptionally good - can we see more of them please.

that might upset some of the single interest modellers here!

I would certainly like to see more,I did have a quick look, but will have another next time I am in shop.

I might then start talking about what is art and what is skilled craft.

I received a copy this morning and have found it to be interesting and inspirational although I've not read it all. I like the fact there are few adverts and that the overseas/British balance is acceptable to me - after all the modellers listed on the cover and, it looks like, all the cover pics are British I was expecting (and there is) a majority of British content inside, but accepting that the 'worldwide' tag would mean it also included the best from overseas.

The downsides for me are the scant N/2mm coverage - although I appreciate that many artistic techniques are applicable to most scales it is nice to see examples in ones chosen scale (as there are particular nuances applicable to the smaller scales) - and that some of the content has previously been seen (some of it very recently) in Model Rail. However it's a mag worth keeping (unlike I do with the regular commercials) for future inspiration and reference.

G.

bought a copy today, whilst getting Railway Modeller. It is very good, not so much for the 'how you how' bits but the inspiration of some of the models.

I do have to challenge the use of the term 'Art', as much of what is shown is more skill than art. When you look initially you seen something very skillful, but look closer and you can find the art. It is what makes you think, and ask questions. Why is that toy train out there, no one playing with it, why is that shed door propped up. Those are both in the superb model by Marcel Ackle. look closely at Pempoul, and you will spot things which again make you think.

I knew I would be raising this when I read the references to 'realism' in editorial piece.

I am not trying to denigrade the skills of the modellers, but saying that art is a bit more than a realistic model. For the record, I will add that I am not a fan of the 'realistic' movement in the art world. I think ,in the same way that Picasso, when photography came in, moved away from depicting what could done by a camera, to something very different, that we could see changes with more 3D printed models. In fact I think we will have to work harder to make our layouts even better. That will be good for the hobby.

Art, of course, and even in the modelling field, doesn't have to be realistic - think abstract, impressionism and other none realistic styles. I remember an Emett style layout once featured in RM that was artistically interesting but not exactly realistic.

But art is in the eye of the beholder - what is considered highly artistic by one doesn't have to accepted as such by others. Thus the editorial writer is perfectly entitled to put his slant and interpretation on it. Sure, all the modellers featured have plenty of skills at their disposal but they also have an artistic eye in arranging and staging the models they create. However it is not essential to have well practiced and honed skills to produce a work of art.

The fact is that the content of the magazine features a great deal of skill and not a little artistic interpretation. Together it makes an inspirational and high quality model railway publication - well worth a look regardless of the individua's level of art appreciation.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought a copy today, but aren't allowed to read it yet, else the kids won't have anything memorable to give me for my Birthday. Excellent value, you could take the adverts out and put a thicker plainer white cover on and charge five times the price.

Agree with the comments 're 2mm/N, the smaller scales do play well into portraying a railway in the landscape, but perhaps they didn't have a modern equivalent to "Chee Tor" to call upon and were saving "Copenhagen Fields" for another issue.

Archived