Bachmann accessory decoder

BBuckley

I have bought some of these for my new layout, I have set them up using the track for both power and signal, they work fine, but whenever I switch a point there is an obvious slow down in the trains. Therefore I decided I would try to us a separate power source, but I can't work out what I need, The instructions say '18V AC or 24V smooth DC'. I don't understand how it can take either AC or DC, from my understanding you would either need one or the other and they are not compatible. Can anyone help me here?

What this really means is that the device almost certainly has a bridge rectifier on its power input, meaning it can work with either AC or DC.

When running from AC, the internal circuit will charge up to the peak value of the 18V ac RMS, which will give a similar result to the 24V DC quoted as the alternative.

What isn't clear is why it needs a 'smooth' DC supply, given that it must have on-board smoothing to work with AC anyway.

What this really means is that the device almost certainly has a bridge rectifier on its power input, meaning it can work with either AC or DC.

When running from AC, the internal circuit will charge up to the peak value of the 18V ac RMS, which will give a similar result to the 24V DC quoted as the alternative.

What isn't clear is why it needs a 'smooth' DC supply, given that it must have on-board smoothing to work with AC anyway.

Phil: whilst there are obvious benefits in a smooth supply, in this case I think it is in relation to the effective v maximum voltage applied.... 24 as the maximum Dc voltage, as opposed to an unsmoothed 24v average supply which could have peaks in the 30v range or more. For 'low power' applications they will work with a 12v dc supply..... But have no chance of operating a current hungry solenoid at that low a voltage. Eg the roco solenoid uncoupler. I did not try a peco point motor at only 12v 8-)

Archived