Feeds and insulators

Tony Davis

Hi,

Just got to the stage of laying the track for my Inglenook and thought I might add a little road for an engine shed. I am using Hornby track throughout and wondered about the feeds, as it seems that I will need 2 with the engine shed road insulated from the rest of the layout.

I have attached a photo of the layout and an Anyrail diagram which I hope clarifies my question.

Advice gladly received.

Regards,

Tony

post-11988-0-24300600-1464619491_thumb.jpg

post-11988-0-22821300-1464619504_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The best place to put the feeds would be between the R612 points, (toe end). Where your 08 is sitting, would then be isolated by the point.

Regards, Andrew.

OP, If the engine road track was longer (enough to hold more than one loco), then adding an extra feed would be required, as per your original drawing.

• RMweb Gold

OP, If the engine road track was longer (enough to hold more than one loco), then adding an extra feed would be required, as per your original drawing.

Or an insulated joint in one rail half way in, bridged via either an on/off switch or a push-to-make push-button. 

John

It sounds like this is a first layout. In that case. Being too ambitious will only dampen your enthusiasm.

While isolating sections will add operational interest, if you are unsure about anything then keep it as simple as possible, enjoy it & give yourself some ideas for the next layout.

Sort of, I have decided to ditch the idea and put a couple of low relief warehouses on the backscene. I wasn't sure that there would have been a loco stabled a such a place anyway.

Thanks again for all the replies/

In DC the feed can actually be anywhere along the two outer rails. except beyond the isolators on the stub if the isolator is on the outer rail.

See pic.    It would work for DCC if you have 1 amp breakers fitted.post-21665-0-83702100-1465256964.jpg

Sort of, I have decided to ditch the idea and put a couple of low relief warehouses on the backscene. I wasn't sure that there would have been a loco stabled a such a place anyway.

Thanks again for all the replies/

Rule 1, it's your railway. I rather liked the extra spur - I could see the layout working by the 08 sorting the 5 wagon train on the long siding, then marshalling the other 3 wagons on the top siding then retiring to the spur. An arriving loco delivers 5 new wagons to the centre siding thus blocking the left most point (R613), uncouples then collects the waiting wagons and withdraws off scene. The 08 then comes off the spur and does a reverse puzzle (an elzzup?), shunting the 5 new wagons into a (randomly?) selected order with the remaining 3 wagons across the 3 sidings. The only problem that I can see is that if you are using remote uncoupling, an extra magnet, ramp or whatever, would have to be placed between the R613 and the R612. Just an idea, after all Rule 1 still applies.

Good, so it is not beyond the realms of possibilty then. I saw that Jordan Foster mentioned one in his layout Oldbury Basin in issue 1 of M.T.I. , he described it as basic hand pump refuelling, and I've always fancied putting something on a layout.

Archived