Heljan Class 20 decoder suitability

Stevelewis

Long  time   since   I digitized  a  Heljan 0 gauge loco  ( except  for  a  Class 26  i did  last week)

Can any one  advise  does  the  Class  20  have  a similar  set  up  as  the  26  .i.e. screw terminal PCB

Also   any  decoder  type  recommendations?

I think  this  one  will be  s  'silent' loco

Hi Basically similar but the 20 was one of the early productions so care need on lighting circuit. My preference has always been for the ESU range and other on here will enthusiastically go on about Zimo (rather like the leave campaigners). There is very little to choose both have their advantages. Whichever, I recommend Coastal DCC both for supply and advice.

Terry

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

I've fitted a Loksound XL to my Heljan 20.  Its all doable, as Terry said, some care needs to be taken with the lighting circuits, and also with the narrow body style, from memory, I had to fit the decoder upright on its longest edge between the two motors, and I think the speaker needed to go vertically in the battery box, but all quite easily doable. 

Personally, these days I prefer the Zimo decoders.  Im no expert on DCC decoders, so it may just be that the settings are more finely tuned, but I do feel that there is smoother running from the Zimo's, and a couple of friends who run steam (not applicable in your case I know) but they say the Zimo's are more advanced for the steam audio, than Loksound.  But at the end of the day, as Terry commented, there is little to choose between them.  

The one thing I would advise is to add the stay-alive functionality, which ever decoder you choose.  I get my Zimo's from Digitrains at Lincoln, who supply the stay-alive free with the decoder - that my be the case for all suppliers, I'm not sure, and i know capacitors can be acquired for the Loksounds - so again, that shouldn't sway you one way or the other.  But the stay-alive is great for the odd bits of point work or dust that can stop electric, especially if the locos is sound fitted.

Rich

Thanks  for  the  info,  I  have  fitted  more  decoders  than  I  care to remember  but  not  done  any  Heljan 0 ones  for   many  years  now  ( except  the  recent 26  which  I found  to be  a 15 minute  job very  nice!!) 

Hi just a note if going for the V4 XL sound decoder it has in built stay alive so no extra outlay there. Not sure on the non sound side. Rich's memory is certainly correct the decoder is side mounted but it is no hassle.

Terry

Archived