Attaching N gauge etched nameplates

Morning All

Just a quick query

I've got a couple of N gauge locos that need etched plates attaching, question is, what do others use/recommend for the job?

I've got UHU & Bostik general purpose adhesive but I find that can get 'cobwebs' everywhere n wondered if there were any cleaner options out there?

Cheers

Dan

Morning All

Just a quick query

I've got a couple of N gauge locos that need etched plates attaching, question is, what do others use/recommend for the job?

I've got UHU & Bostik general purpose adhesive but I find that can get 'cobwebs' everywhere n wondered if there were any cleaner options out there?

Cheers

Dan

I'd try either a little matt/satin varnish, or Deluxe Materials Tacky Glue which dries clear. Both options will allow you to align the plate before they set, with the Tacky Glue any excess around the plate can be removed with a damp cotton bud/cloth. I'd avoid any form of super-glue.

Enamel varnish, recommended by Brian at Shawplan.

I apply to the back of the plate, give it a minute or two to start to go tacky then press onto the bodyside. Any excess can be taken up with a cocktail stick

Jo

• RMweb Gold

As a way of ensuring "level" plate is to use a piece of low tack masking tape to make a stop - this can be adjusted to ensure plate will sit at location you require and with just a small dot of varnish near each end then it can with tweezers be placed with lower edge against paper edge and lowered into place.

The varnish will by capillary action spread out under plate and hopefully not creep out. I keep a dampened- with thinners a small brush to allow any excess to be stroked and picked up. Give it around 30 minutes and carefully pullback tape, if you can turnback an end and pull back parallel to the body so the end curve of the tape is very small the risk of pulling paint or snagging plate becomes very small.

This has worked for me for quite a few years on models in several scales.

hope it helps and enjoy personalising your locos

Robert  

Archived