La bataille du rail

ianp

I managed to download it online(unfortunately it is in sections so might search out a DVD, although I do remember considering getting one, might even have done so).

A good film, lots of interesting little facts, obvious when you think, but not mentioned in many places. Was amazed there was so much working German military stuff still around, Compares well to many later films which used Bedford lorries rather than Opel ones.

I managed to download it online(unfortunately it is in sections so might search out a DVD, although I do remember considering getting one, might even have done so).

A good film, lots of interesting little facts, obvious when you think, but not mentioned in many places. Was amazed there was so much working German military stuff still around, Compares well to many later films which used Bedford lorries rather than Opel ones.

The Germans did use a lot of Bedfords, and other kit that had been left behind by the BEF after Dunkirk; whilst the first-line troops during the Blitzkreig may have had motor transport, much of the second-line relied on horses, and were glad to adopt and adapt anything they could find.

I know the Germans did use Bedfords and other captured vehicles, but it is rare to see Opels in many classic films. In fact it would more likely be a Ford than an Opel, as there were more produced, but that might be a bit sensitive politically. The tie ups between companies can raise questions some would not like asked. Post war Bedfords and Opels were the same design, but not sure how much was shared prewar. There were certainly no articulared prewar Opels, like the Bedfords, but that might have been down to Scammell not dealing(my own family interests here), but the French FAR 3 wheelers (Scammell licensed) did end up in German hands. It is an area I want to research when I have the time. Films such as the 1946 film are very useful, as they use correct equipment in the correct time period, so are possibly better that genuine real documentary film, which might not have as much detail. The unloading of the German tank off the train is something not seen in other films as far as I know.

Some film companies make an effort, some some don't, like with railways they use locos which are totally wrong. It is excusable, but only just, to use a post war Citroen in a WW2 film, as long as you don't show the back end, but to use a 2CV van in one as was done in Secret Army(?) the serious drama which inspired Hello Hello is not. Props managers are paid to do a job, and some fall short. Computer simulation can help, but even then it has been shown to get it wrong(Ripper Street?).

It is therefore a bit ironical that in the TV Thomas Tank engine series, they used Opel trucks to represent typical British ones!

Archived