Coals to Newcastle (FREE model railway exhibition and Armstrong Trust Slideshow)

Porcy Mane

Yes a FREE entry model railway themed event and it's happening Saturday & Sunday next weekend. That's the 11th & 12th June, 2016.

Don't know a lot about it but four coal carrying layouts being displayed in 4mm & 7mm at a small but perfectly formed model railway exhibition in Newcastle. Not only that but a stupendous slide show of Armstrong Trust North East railway photography by the inimitable David Dunn. Runs Saturday & Sunday and is absolutely free (but donations will be kindly accepted) I don't think there will be any trade support but anything can happen in the next half hour.

A bonus is that it is being held in what is probably one of the most famous of all Coal and Railway industry related buildings in the UK that also happens to adjoin Newcastle Central Station.

Parking is on street nearby (Metered) and lots of city car parking nearby or a minutes walk from Central Stations main entrance which doubles as an entry to The Metro. (That's Tynesides very own rapid transit system to the uninitiated).

Did I say where the venue is. Probably not.

So get along to:

Mining Institute

The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers. The bottom of Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne. More or less opposite Weatherspoons and the Tin Geordie Stiv.

Apparently great beer and bars nearby also.  Dunno about Witherspoons. :smile_mini:

See attached linksand this is the entrance door to the venue. https://goo.gl/maps/5LSuejrfbTt

http://www.slsnewcastle.org.uk/News

pdf.gif  Coal Carrying Model Railways Exhibition.pdf   149.71KB   0 downloads

Poursea

I've never been to the library before...and this is the exhibition space...

https://mininglibrarian.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/a-mining-institute-19-june-2007-009.jpg

...and you didn't mention its all in a good cause to help support the mining institute...or the pub 75 yards down the road...

https://whatpub.com/pubs/TYN/6930/split-chimp-newcastle-upon-tyne

...(which is closed on Sunday apparently)

A/box

I've never been to the library before...and this is the exhibition space...

You will be amazed. Especially at some of the names that adorn the walls of the upper balcony. There will be many mentions of Girder Rail in the minutes of the meetings and lectures.

A composite non flammable chair key to stop striking miners nicking oak keys to burn on their fires is interesting. The patent application being made from not a few hundreds yard from your families ceremonial Bede kitchen.

...does anyone know what time the Scotsman is due into Newcastle on Saturday...or is this still top secret?  Actually, thinking about it, you know what time its coming because its always 5 minutes behind the Police helicopter...

"Due to the on going issues with trespassers actual timings will only be issued to passengers travelling"

Brainless minority still screwing for the majority.

Silly tw*ts. (or should that be cockwombles?)

I went along to the 'Coal Carrying' model railway exhibition at the mining institute in Newcastle today, well worth a visit and it was good to see 'Kepier Colliery' and 'George Quay' layouts in the flesh so to speak, also present was David Fraser with his excellent photographic display of NER high level coal staiths.

Jolly Good event at a jolly good venue.

Get along and support it if you can tomorrow, the advantage being you will not have to put up with me as I'll be elsewhere.

post-508-0-01763500-1465683319_thumb.jpg

An upside of the day was that I saw this steamy, kettley thing on the way home. Downside was my train back to Durham followed the railtour at walking pace. Don't know if the Scotman had troubles or was speed restricted for some reason. The line-side was still jam packed with watchers at places.

post-508-0-50265200-1465684534.jpg

Some passengers on the train, that don't understand these things were full of moans at the speed the train was travelling.

P

Great pictures Poursea, and what a grand little exhibition in such a magnificent hall...spent all my spare time down in the lecture theatre watching Dave Dunn's slide show...

If you can't make it this weekend, fear not as I've heard a whisper that the show might go 'on tour'...sounds a bit rock and roll...will they have a tour bus?

A/box

PS you can't tell you've just run down the platform and had less than 10 seconds to take that Scotsman shot.

PPS The show is on today 10-4

Archived