Southern Railway Atlas

Peter Kazmierczak

Anyone got this book yet (published by Ian Allan last month).

Just wondering if the maps show individual track layouts (with each line, platform and siding shown a la Quail), or does it just show the tracks as a solid line with stations marked by a dot.

Thanks in anticipation as I'm wondering whether to ask this as a Father's day present for me.....

• RMweb Premium

I don't have the book, but it might be asking those who have purchased it on Amazon for further info? From the description given on the Ian Allen website, it does appear that sidings are shown:

The fullest extent of the SR 1923-1947 is shown and the mapping also includes industrial lines. Lines are distinguished singled or doubled, and sidings, stations (including platforms), tunnels, signalboxes, level crossings, bridges and viaducts are also shown.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Southern-Railway-Richard-Harman/dp/0711038295/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465324459&sr=1-1&keywords=9780711038295

• RMweb Premium

I haven't looked at every page of it yet, but I think the answer to your question is yes. It is very similar in style and content to the GWR atlas by Cooke (Wild Swan).

This small extract is typical of the content.

post-6821-0-76038100-1465325419_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm........ I think I'll have a look in the shop first.

I find the "half way between a track plan and a diagramatic map" a bit strange, and wonder what it really contributes in a world where diagramatic maps, track plans (via large scale maps), and quite a large proportion of signal box diagrams are available on-line.

Good for "imaginary travelling" I should imagine (!).

Kevin

Archived