M.O.D rolling stock

After I decided that a MOD depot would be a good reason to keep an old branch line open I also decided that I would require some rolling stock for use on the trains. For a start I decided to put together some RTR  stock formed of vans and opens. Next I decided that a shunter, or pair of shunters would be useful. I found some photos of military shunters in a magazine, one of them really stood out as a nice little machine to use on a layout. The article mentioned that there were more than one in use so I decided I would make two, one powered and one dummy to have stood awaiting its next job. These little machines were Minilok DH60 road/rail shunters. The one I built operational is DCC equipped. 

I also decided that I would need some warwell and warflat wagons to move vehicles in and out of the depot, however they are not readily available so I have started to scratch build some. I will some photos on asap. 

What period are you modelling? Van wides were common going in and out of the big depot at Donnington (Shropshire) in the 1960s and were also seen in the 1990s as internal user wagons painted green.be carefully about Warflats as most modern tanks (Centurion onwards are 2 wide for the British loading gauge). The last tank narrow enough to be transported by rail was the Comet which went out of service in the late 1950s. There are some photos of the Donnington depot, rolling stock and shunters in The Railways of Telford, published by Crowood Press 2016.

Other wagons seen on MOD traffic included containers in steel open wagons. The current traffic in and out of Donnington is all containerised now.

David

Archived