S&DJR Gate Wheels

There were a number of locations on the S&DJR where level-crossing gates were operated by a ‘gate wheel’ in the adjacent signal-box or ground-frame. AFAIK there were seven such locations:- Radstock West (later Radstock North ‘B’), Evercreech Jcn South, Stalbridge, Bailey Gate Crossing, Corfe Mullen Jcn, Shapwick and Highbridge ‘C’ (later Highbridge East ‘A’).

I am aware of only one photograph of a S&DJR signal-box interior which shows a gate-wheel, namely at Evercreech Jcn South. Given the L&SWR/SR involvement with S&DJR signalling, I would have expected the S&DJR gate-wheels to have been of the normal L&SWR/SR style, but curiously the EJS one is clearly akin to the GWR type. However, given that BR(WR) are known to have done some alterations to the gate locking there in BR days, as that photo dates circa 1965/66 then it is possible that it was a BR(WR) replacement.

So – what type of gate-wheel was fitted in the other signal-boxes? I have seen exterior views of Corfe Mullen Jcn and Highbridge ‘C’ with what appears to be the L&SWR/SR type of wheel partly visible through the windows. Does anyone have any personal experience of any of the relevant locations or know of any photographic evidence or other appropriate records please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

I assume this is aimed at me. The only one I know of is that in South box at Evercreech, which oddly I was labelling that photo today in advance of the Kidder photo fair on the 9 July. As you know interior shots are so rare, but I am always on the look out.

Duncan

Hi Chris,

I assume this is aimed at me. The only one I know of is that in South box at Evercreech, which oddly I was labelling that photo today in advance of the Kidder photo fair on the 9 July. As you know interior shots are so rare, but I am always on the look out.

Duncan

Well, not solely, but you crossed my mind :-)  Thanks for the update anyway.

Archived