how long did Glasgow Queen Street keep station pilot duties

GordonC

Referring to post #23 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111998-how-long-did-glasgow-queen-street-keep-station-pilot-duties/&do=findComment&comment=2346112

Page 242 and 243

Interesting to note that a brake coach (BSO) MUST be at the station end of the train, along with instructions where such a brake coach is not at the station end

This also explains why so many rakes had more than one such brake coach, and why Scotland had so many of them!

Equally, the documents refer to the use of two locomotives, one at each end of the train

Therefore it looks like this was an operational requirement specific to push-pull operations with Class 26 / 27 locos

The rear loco could then be detached, run to Eastfield, and be replaced on arrival at Edinburgh

This would also explain why I never saw this at Glasgow Queen Street, as the Class 47/7 fleet had just become cool ice cream livery and the 37/4 had just entered service

• RMweb Premium

It would make sense that it would be a cl.20 fitted with a slip coupling, possibly only on the nose end - i had a look at the 1969 Sec. App. and the instructions are basically the same, including the one that if the driving cab of the banker is not next to the train, then the banker must be coupled up. I take it it was tried out as that was what was done with steam, but possibly not worth the extra effort just for one (or one class of)  diesel loco. If a 20 was to be used, then it would maybe just be better to make sure it had the cab end facing cowlairs - it could then bank as normal without coupling up

It would certainly be interesting to find a pic of the loco - i suppose they weren't averse to modding locos if it would help in particular situations, c.f. the two 20s with extra air pipes for shunting the 303/311s

• RMweb Premium

Referring to post #23 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111998-how-long-did-glasgow-queen-street-keep-station-pilot-duties/&do=findComment&comment=2346112

Page 242 and 243

Interesting to note that a brake coach (BSO) MUST be at the station end of the train, along with instructions where such a brake coach is not at the station end

This also explains why so many rakes had more than one such brake coach, and why Scotland had so many of them!

Equally, the documents refer to the use of two locomotives, one at each end of the train

Therefore it looks like this was an operational requirement specific to push-pull operations with Class 26 / 27 locos

Where the instruction refers to the BSO, it is for "Coaching Stock trains with locomotives front and rear and working in multiple" i.e. specifically the fixed rake, blue-star fitted coaches with cl.27/1 and 27/2 locos.

However on p.242 it also states that "the last vehicle of all Up trains [i.e. towards Cowlairs] not assisted in rear, must have a brake compartment in which the guard must ride".

They were all part of an 'overall' instruction for QS to ensure the guard could act should the train slip/stall on the incline.

Archived