Hornby J50 pickup problem

I brought a Hornby J50 back in February and have recently had the problems with the loco stopping on the middle of the track. With further investigation i have found that the spring loaded pins connecting the pickups to the chip board have become stuck and will not spring back. 

Has anyone had this problem as well? if so found a way of fixing it?

13435747_1736388093302833_1991923813_n.j

Thanks Ash

• RMweb Premium

I brought a Hornby J50 back in February and have recently had the problems with the loco stopping on the middle of the track. With further investigation i have found that the spring loaded pins connecting the pickups to the chip board have become stuck and will not spring back. 

Has anyone had this problem as well? if so found a way of fixing it?

13435747_1736388093302833_1991923813_n.j

Thanks Ash

I may be old-fashioned, but wire and solder would be my solution.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John you might be old fashioned with your fixit your self soldering but can I be even more old fashioned and say you only bought it in February and it's gone wrong ever thought of warrenty repairs! That's not even four mounth's old!

• RMweb Premium

John you might be old fashioned with your fixit your self soldering but can I be even more old fashioned and say you only bought it in February and it's gone wrong ever thought of warrenty repairs! That's not even four mounth's old!

.... and have the same thing happen again soon !

It's bad design to rely on sprung plungers to complete an electrical circuit in this way - some short lengths of wire soldered in place of the plungers will resolve the problem permanently.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

.... and have the same thing happen again soon !

It's bad design to rely on sprung plungers to complete an electrical circuit in this way - some short lengths of wire soldered in place of the plungers will resolve the problem permanently.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Interesting ! Don't a lot of finescale modellers use sprung plungers for loco pick up? I mean it never gave a moments problem with the old Airfix 14xx and that also had a big spring for the return feed from the motor as well!!!!

Still say you should return it or else Hornby will think every think is hunky dory and design another loco the same, if none of us had returned our class 31s with chassis rot would they ever do anything about it,

Slightly different scale, shall we all do home repairs to the tumble driers that are burning houses down? Or send them back makeing them take a bit more care next time

• RMweb Premium

Interesting ! Don't a lot of finescale modellers use sprung plungers for loco pick up? I mean it never gave a moments problem with the old Airfix 14xx and that also had a big spring for the return feed from the motor as well!!!!

Still say you should return it or else Hornby will think every think is hunky dory and design another loco the same, if none of us had returned our class 31s with chassis rot would they ever do anything about it,

Slightly different scale, shall we all do home repairs to the tumble driers that are burning houses down? Or send them back makeing them take a bit more care next time

Have you ever actually used the commercially available 4mm. scale sprung plunger pick-ups? I have - once !!

... and the problem was exactly the same as experinced by the OP - sticking plungers.

I'll say it again - bad design. If a permanent rather than a temporary solution is required, dump the springs and plungers and use good old wire and solder.

Hornby will plough their own furrow despite us - we either don't buy or we improve their design.

Regards,

john Isherwood.

Sent a request to Hornby on Thursday asking about the options of a repair or new one. So far no reply.

Might have to break out the solder and wire, wait a few weeks before that tho to see if i get reply.

Have you ever actually used the commercially available 4mm. scale sprung plunger pick-ups? I have - once !!

john Isherwood.

John

Just wondering if you missed the sarcasm about the 14xx reliability !

I have kept one going for thirty years purely by the fact that I worked in a model shop when it was currant, enabling me to buy and keep a bag of new plungers in the spairs box, but the bag is getting very thin now, the others acquired Dapol chassis when you could get them for a tenner

By commercially available plungers do you mean Airfix or other makes for kits ? Like you the M & L great bear I built with can't remember who's make of plungers was soon converted to phosphor bronze whiskers

• RMweb Premium

John

Just wondering if you missed the sarcasm about the 14xx reliability !

I have kept one going for thirty years purely by the fact that I worked in a model shop when it was currant, enabling me to buy and keep a bag of new plungers in the spairs box, but the bag is getting very thin now, the others acquired Dapol chassis when you could get them for a tenner

By commercially available plungers do you mean Airfix or other makes for kits ? Like you the M & L great bear I built with can't remember who's make of plungers was soon converted to phosphor bronze whiskers

No - I didn't miss the sarcasm.

The plunger pickups that I tried were Maygib, I think.

Phosphor-bronze wire or strip for me every time - though I have a few pickup-less tender locos that use the 'American' isolated tender system.

Regards,

John.

Archived