Random Fiddle Yard Selection

St. Simon

Hi,

In the process of rebuilding the fiddle yard on Norwood Road, I've been think about how to just make things a bit easier.

My thoughts are to have a control panel that would randomly pick a train to run by pushing a button and set all the points according (at both ends), this would take out the the problem of having to remember to set both ends of the yard and try to prevent two trains being run for long periods. I would also like this to feed in a train describer on the signalling panel (it would just need to fire an input into an Arduino Processor).

I was wandering is there an easier why to do this using 'traditional' electronics that are currently available rather than having to write my own program for a processor? I will probably be running PECO surface mount point motors.

Thanks in advance

Simon

The theory is the easy bit, the cost escalates rapidly. I devised an analog electro mechanical  sequencer for a FY to despatch trains in sequence but the cost was astronomical.

The basic element was equal length FY loops with magnets under each brake van to signal via reed switches that the rear of the trains were clear of the points. This de energised a dead section and also switched the points to the next road so the next train could depart. Selector switches with override push button either started the next train immediately or at the push of a button.

The plan evolved to using loco decoders and DCC power to feed the individual loops with power tuned to the individual loco or direct DC voltage control selectable through a switch.    

Common sense prevailed and it is still unfinished 20 years on.

I should add the FY had loops so all trains ran clockwise through the loops and then could run clockwise or anticlockwise around the layout, but hey, life's too short.

...My thoughts are to have a control panel that would randomly pick a train to run by pushing a button and set all the points according (at both ends), this would take out the the problem of having to remember to set both ends of the yard and try to prevent two trains being run for long periods. I would also like this to feed in a train describer on the signalling panel (it would just need to fire an input into an Arduino Processor).

I was wandering is there an easier way to do this using 'traditional' electronics that are currently available rather than having to write my own program for a processor?

Do you really want 'random', or is 'continuous variation' sufficient? It occurs to me that change ringing offers the latter in that every bell (FY track) gets rung (route set, train runs) once in every change, so all trains get equivalent running. Given the musical/mathematical campanologist mindset there must be software for change ringing, and the output can be both train describer and route setting initiator. Or have I misunderstood what you are asking for?

To start with the "easy" bit.  With a suitably powerful CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) and a diode matrix you can achieve route selection such that pressing a press to make button for "Road 1" sets all the relevant points for that line.  Similarly for Road 2 etc.  Using switches attached to and co-acting with the point motors means that you can then light an LED next to the appropriate train descriptor on the main panel.

The harder part is random selection.  I guess you could use a computer controlled robot arm to randomly press a button.  Alternatively for a really down market solution use playing cards.  Assuming you have 10 roads in the fiddle yard, then use Ace to 10 of your preferred suit.  Shuffle then draw one card at random.  Press the button corresponding to the card drawn. 

Archived