Point motor wiring

ohanlonmartin

Hi,

I am wiring up 60 Seep point motors so I need advice on how to proceed where a pair of points are used in a crossover and I need to switch both points at the same time, I have built a layout control panel and intend to use the probe and stud method for switching points.

Do I pre-wire all point motors in the same configuration i.e. with six terminals on the motor do I wire all of them with the wire same colours at A B C D E F?

Another feature is I am using a number of 3 way points, are there any hazards or tips I need to know about with wiring point motors on those or is simply a case of wiring and using three separate point motors?

Also with the Seep motors I want to wire in indicator bulbs for track directional purposes, do I use LED's or what other type of bulb, I believe if using LED's I need a resistor/s, how are those wired and how many do I need?

As you will have deduced from the above, electrics are NOT my strong point (no pun) by a very long way and any advice needs to be very basic for my head to cope with,

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

You should be able to operate two points simultaneously if the power supply you're using is up to the job. A Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) will help in this respect.

I would expect you to use three studs probably in a line on the panel. Each stud would operate both points. The two extreme studs would set both points for through running, the centre stud would set both points for the crossover route. The two extreme studs would be connected together electrically.

I don't have a SEEP motor to hand but I recall that connection C is common to both coils on each motor. Connecting A to A or A to B and vice versa (including B to B) will depend upon which way round you have the point motors orientated. You may have both A contacts wired as the crossover route (connected to the centre stud) or you could have both B contacts or you could have one of each.

I'm not sure that there is a prescribed way to wire the motors, wire colour wise. Suffice to say I'd use one configuration and stick to it for all the motors recognising that for crossovers you may end up linking wires of different colours to terminals A and B.

There have been numerous threads about 3-way points. You should find all the information that you need in the instructions that come with the (presumed Peco) 3-way point. Brian Lambert's website also has extensive information about wiring these as well.

LEDs require a lot less power than bulbs so they would be my preferred choice. Each LED requires a resistor connected to one "leg" of the LED. The resistors "size", expressed in Ohms, depends on the power supply you are using to power the LEDs. Other than that LEDs are wired the same way as bulbs. I can't be any more specific as I don't know enough about your layout. It may be different if you're using DCC and/or live frog points.

Hope that helps.

ohanlonmartin, on 23 Jun 2016 - 09:53, said:

Another feature is I am using a number of 3 way points, are there any hazards or tips I need to know about with wiring point motors on those or is simply a case of wiring and using three separate point motors?

Thanks.

A 3 way point only requires 2 point motors.

• RMweb Gold

Hi the following link to the thread I did about building a layout might help a bit.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98047-so-youre-going-to-buy-a-train-set-update-18072015/?p=1892285

I would keep the wiring colours the same, as you will see in the link, you know then that one set of colours are forl the coils to move the point and the other set of coloured wires is for the switch part.

Now in the link I used the built in switch to operate the LED's

The LED's I powered from a separate source and they already had built in resistors.

Are you using the built in switch for frog polarity switching or to switch the LED's?

If the former then you will need another switch to turn on/off the LED's

Cheers

Ian

Hi

Blowing my own trumpet here.. But 99.99% of what you're asking is fully covered on the two Electrical pages of my web site.... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html. That link is to the first electrical page.

You haven't mentioned if your points are to be Insulated frog or Electrofrog ? If insulated frog the Seeps D, E & F contacts are available for LED switching. But if you're using Electrofrog Its likely you'll use these three contacts for frog polarity switching, so some additional switching of some sorts would do needed - micro switch, relay etc.

Thanks to all above respondents,

Apologies but I should have clarified the points are insulfrog and I have bought a CDU,  I have rigged up a test circuit just to check each point motor I wire up is throwing the switch and so far so good on those using the stud and probe, the method I prefer over push button switches for aesthetic reasons, also I will be using the built in switch to switch the LED's

I now need to refer to the links above and set up a trial circuit then settle on the simplest form of wiring, hopefully if I need to return here all you good people will bear with my ignorance and inexperience.

Thanks again

Archived