Wiring Assistance Please

Austinw

I'm returning to the hobby after over 30 years since my last layout and what a different world it now is!  The simple layout I'm building is based on the Harz in HOm scale after I was inspired by the magnificent Braunlage seen elsewhere on this forum. The baseboard, 6' x 3' is built, and the Peco trackwork has been delivered so I'm ready to start. But I've read so much on wiring, electrofrog points etc. over the last few weeks that I think I've confused myself. I'd like to make the wiring as simple as possible, the layout is to be DC and I've attached a plan which shows where I think the power feeds, IRJ's etc. should go and I'd be very grateful if someone could take a look and point out where I may have gone wrong and offer any other suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation.

Austin

post-29414-0-88256100-1466954815_thumb.jpg

You need more IRJs. Fit them to the upper sidings loop rails near to where the wording Backscene is and on the righthand points frog rails then add a feed to the end of that same siding on the right.

You will need two addional rail feeds to all the two middle rails of the very top loop rals too.

On the lower left cross over fit the cross over direction IRJs oposite to each other not staggered as shown.

On the lower platform track below the platform add a red feed to the upper rail just off the left end of the platform.

Best rules of thumb with electrofrog points is...add IRJs to all frog Vee rails then instal additional rail feeds of the correct polarity after the IRJs as required. Always feed power into the points single line end. While dead end sidings don't need IRJs so long as no other rail feeds are installed, you will always have one sidings track live depending on point position. So by following the rule of thumb you can switch each sidings feed On/Off via a simple toggle switch, thereby giving total isolation of each siding regardless of the sidings points position.

• RMweb Premium

I think you also need a blue feed to the outer rail of the inner track on the left hand side.  And though not absolutely necessary, I would have a red feed on the inner rail there too, and red and blue feeds on the outer track on that side too.

And for Brian, if you don't mind - what's the objection to the OP's planned arrangement for the IRJs on the bottom left crossover?  I can see a possible problem if there was a plan for separate electrical sections for cab control,  but not otherwise?

Chris

You need more IRJs. Fit them to the upper sidings loop rails near to where the wording Backscene is and on the righthand points frog rails then add a feed to the end of that same siding on the right.

You will need two addional rail feeds to all the two middle rails of the very top loop rals too.

On the lower left cross over fit the cross over direction IRJs oposite to each other not staggered as shown.

On the lower platform track below the platform add a red feed to the upper rail just off the left end of the platform.

Best rules of thumb with electrofrog points is...add IRJs to all frog Vee rails then instal additional rail feeds of the correct polarity after the IRJs as required. Always feed power into the points single line end. While dead end sidings don't need IRJs so long as no other rail feeds are installed, you will always have one sidings track live depending on point position. So by following the rule of thumb you can switch each sidings feed On/Off via a simple toggle switch, thereby giving total isolation of each siding regardless of the sidings points position.

Brian, many thanks for taking the trouble to look and explain what I need to do, it's much appreciated. I have looked at your website over the past few weeks and gained much valuable information but now knowing exactly what I need to do is wonderful. Thanks again

This is DC and I guess one train running at a time.  As drawn it won't work. It has too many IRJs 

The IRJs in the top loop have no value unless you turn the points to be in opposition or change the points with trains running

The Right hand IRJ and feed between platforms are unnecessary.

The crossover at the left hand end need IRJs on the rails between the two points , but not on the straight road or the hidden sidings

The point into the lower siding needs 4 IRJs not just 2. 

I would either just have 2 feeds 1 for main line and 1 for the sidings or section the layout for cab control.  30 years of electrofrog operation with sluggish Wrenn motors and hefty 2 amp On Track power units and I have had almost no points failure despite using point blade switching.    

Auxiliary switches are essential with DCC as any short such as a derailment can apply 4 amps, 50 watts or more, across the flimsy point tags which can make them glow yellow and fail.

Proper sectionalised DCC with 1 amp in line breakers is the best solution if you like running trains more than hunting for faults.

But for now simplicate and think through how you will operate before getting too involved in yards of feed wires and switches

Archived