Sound for Deeley Dock Tank

Fastdax

Over on my workbench thread I asked about a suitable sound decoder for the 7mm "1528 class" Deeley 0F Dock Tank that I'm building.

Apologies for cross-posting the question here, but this is the place where the experts lurk.

What's a reasonable substitute for the sounds of this diminutive 2-cylinder Walschaerts valve gear Midland tank loco? There are no originals in existence any more so I guess the sounds will have to be taken from a similar engine.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Duncan

If the smokebox volume, blastpipe/chimney arrangement and boiler tubing is close to that of the preserved ex-Midland 1F 0-6-0T shunter, I'd plump for that in absence of any more definitive knowledge. The primary character of steam loco exhaust sound is down to the 'organ pipe' of blast pipe and chimney and the resonating system of smokebox and tubes, that the exhausted steam excites.

Thus the similar character in sound when doing similar work of Swindon 4-6-0s in original condition whether Walschaerts or Stephenson gear, the very close sonic correspondence of the Stanier 5MT and 8F at the same speed and steam rate, ditto the Doncaster wide firebox machines with the Kylchap exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...

If the smokebox volume, blastpipe/chimney arrangement and boiler tubing is close to that of the preserved ex-Midland 1F 0-6-0T shunter, I'd plump for that in absence of any more definitive knowledge. The primary character of steam loco exhaust sound is down to the 'organ pipe' of blast pipe and chimney and the resonating system of smokebox and tubes, that the exhausted steam excites.

Thanks! That's another vote for the Midland 1F sounds.

Duncan

Archived