Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Platforms and Yards

I am thinking of modeling a GWR branchline terminus in Devon and am wondering what types and colours of materials would have been used for the platform, Specifically a 'gravel' type platform? Also, what materials would bee used to 'pave' the goods yard?

Colin Martin

HI

When I did my layout Torrington, I used yard ash from C+L for the tops of my platforms painted a dark grey and given a dry bushing over

For yards you can use Yard ash again, as most yards are made from this anyway, have look in a few books or on the net to get a good idea of what yards are made from.

In front of buildings where loading was going on you may have hard standing? , this would normally be concert or paving slabs.

All the best

Darren01

• RMweb Premium

The colour of the gravel would depend very much on how long it had been laid. the longer it had been down, the darker it would have become, much like ballast. The track in the yard is likely to have been ash ballasted. As Darren has said you would expect to see the platform being paved outside of the main building. Being you are talking about modelling the terminus it is also more likely that the whole platform would have been paved or asphalt.

Archived