Danemouth Mk 4

Danemouth

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of a coach park on top of the fiddle yard curve. I'm intending to put a factory yard there on my Black Country layout. In line with the main track it will have a blue brick cutting with a very dirty old pannier tank and brake van waiting at a signal.

The coach park could be mainly short grass with stoned access tracks and hardstanding areas. Could even have a driver with a deckchair?

• RMweb Gold

I did consider an embankment along the back of the layout but discarded the idea as I want to place the station building fairly close to the backscene. Retaining walls along the backscene seems overkill for a station such as Danemouth - opinions please!

Dave,

How about thinking of a station along the lines of the down station building at Llandaff North?

At the top of the embankment with a bridge across the relief lines and then steps down.

Of course with Danemmouth it would be embankment and steps down as there would be no need for a bridge.

You have lost a siding at the front of the railway, so why not slew the station area over a bit more?

If you are not constrained by width, accepting that the exit from the scenic section is fixed, then you could add a 6" fillet at the front or the rear of the main boards to increase your scenic potential.

More curve in the station throat could help you achieve this.

Another lurid sketch to amplify is attached (I should have put my reading glasses on to do this!)

CCF11072016.pdf

There are some cracking photos of a Ryde Esplanade station in the mid sixties, with O2s and lots of tourist coaches.

Here are a couple (60s and 80s) from postcards that I quickly found on the web. The first earlier is a gem for model coach collectors. The railway runs in the "concrete trench", in case you don't know the place.

K

post-26817-0-81912500-1468258804_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-07213700-1468258814_thumb.jpg

What a great bunch of guys gentlemen you are  - there are a host of ideas here to be measured up and visualised once the boards are clear. Since i last posted I've removed the point motors and wiring just leaving the DCC buses for the new layout. Started to remove the cork and platform. I must remember to get a new tube of plastic wood to fill all the old point motor holes.

The idea of the coach/car park with a road and an embankment on the left together with a dummy cutting is a definite runner and thankfully within my skill set.

Richard thanks for the sketch, once the baseboard is clear and the track roughly placed I will be able to see the possibilities - for me there's nothing like trying it out.

Again thanks to you all,

Dave

Dave,

Don't bother with the railway, just model a disused station now used as a coach park instead, eg Bournemouth West.......

Seriously though, I like your more simplified plan. What about putting the whole station on a gentle curve (a la St Ives or Kingsbridge)? It does seem rather straight and angular to me at the moment.

I'd be inclined to keep the bay platform, if only for parcels and luggage-in-advance, as it provides a bolt-hole for the local trains to the junction if/when a longer distance holiday express (or portion thereof) arrives at the main platform.

Dave

I'm with Peter on keeping the bay - it allows for much more interesting "Summer Saturday" operation. Without it, you have a sort of Padstow, which was never actually very busy.

MIRSE

The dummy cutting is brilliant ........ I'm seriously tempted to do the same at one end of my main layout now!

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

You don't need massive embankment walls or acres of ground rolling down to get the height difference.  It just needs to be a distinct step.

The difference it makes will transform your railway as it will then move out of the flat earth scenario we often set ourselves.

The flat topped baseboard is totally to blame for this!

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

You don't need massive embankment walls or acres of ground rolling down to get the height difference.  It just needs to be a distinct step.

The difference it makes will transform your railway as it will then move out of the flat earth scenario we often set ourselves.

The flat topped baseboard is totally to blame for this!

Couldn't agree more.

Embankments and cuttings, with bridges or tunnels, are such an important railway feature for the vast majority of areas. Even in relevatively flat areas, shallow cuttings and embankments could be seen.

Good luck Dave, go with what works for you and the space you have.

Kind regards,l

Nick.

Young Mr Hippo Sir,

I was thinking about embankments and looking at the Berry Pomeroy thread when I came across this post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96176-berry-pomeroy-gwr-blt/?p=1850800

I rather like this embankment. The idea of it gradually getting lower from left to right would IMHO ensure it does not dominate.

Is this the sort of thing you envisaged?

Many thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Young Mr Hippo Sir,

I was thinking about embankments and looking at the Berry Pomeroy thread when I came across this post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96176-berry-pomeroy-gwr-blt/?p=1850800

I rather like this embankment. The idea of it gradually getting lower from left to right would IMHO ensure it does not dominate.

Is this the sort of thing you envisaged?

Many thanks,

Dave

Yes, that's similar to the sort of embankment I had in mind.  Not enough chip paper strewn on it for a sea side resort though!

The top does not need to be too tall, perhaps only coming up to the roof gutters on the signal box.

The bottom edge could always be a dwarf wall which might save an inch or two of depth if needed, as would slightly steeper sides.

Yes, that's similar to the sort of embankment I had in mind.  Not enough chip paper strewn on it for a sea side resort though!

The top does not need to be too tall, perhaps only coming up to the roof gutters on the signal box.

The bottom edge could always be a dwarf wall which might save an inch or two of depth if needed, as would slightly steeper sides.

Thanks Richard,

That type of embankment is within my skill set! It also saves me having to purchase and build several Metcalfe kits.

I am making good progress on clearing the boards and should be able to sand them tomorrow in readiness for some track testing - I've just printed the point templates.

Regards,

Dave

p.s. who makes 4mm scale chip papers? :) :)

Well the boards have been cleared and I have laid out the track as shown in Post 14. A problem was immediately obvious; the little goods store was right on the edge of the baseboard and the two sidings were a little short though usable for half a dozen vans.

So I have considered three options:

Firstly to just remove the good store and have such goods unloaded at the parcels platform,

Secondly to move the GS to the coal yard

post-7048-0-21072400-1468589195.jpg

Or thirdly to remove the parcels platform and berth full brakes, GUVs etc. at the end of the against the buffer stops in the bay platform:

post-7048-0-60256300-1468589207.jpg

These photos depict that option

post-7048-0-71270900-1468589224_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-56712500-1468589234_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-07419800-1468589247_thumb.jpg

The embankment running across the backscene will be the same height as the Peco track boxes shown in the photos, 75 mm

Incidentally I compiled this document a couple of years ago to assist in layout planning

OO Train Sizes.pdf

So folks I would be grateful for your opinions on the various options, I am currently thinking of the third option  (lose the parcel platform)

If you can identify and alternatives ,,,,

Cheers,

Dave

And on the subject of fish. I seem to recall from earlier posts that your thoughts were that this would be the second station in Danemouth. The first being nearer the town centre, this being Danemouth Promenade (or something similar). 

In which case presumably most goods traffic would be dealt with at Danemouth (No.1), with only limited freight traffic at Danemouth Promenade. (Fish traffic perhaps), consequently a smaller goods yard might not be such an issue.

If plans have changed, forgive me for not keeping up.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Well the boards have been cleared and I have laid out the track as shown in Post 14. A problem was immediately obvious; the little goods store was right on the edge of the baseboard and the two sidings were a little short though usable for half a dozen vans.

So I have considered three options:

Firstly to just remove the good store and have such goods unloaded at the parcels platform,

Secondly to move the GS to the coal yard

If you can identify and alternatives ,,,,

Cheers,

Dave

If you use the bay for a parcels van you will need a trap point.

Freight traffic at such places was fairly sparse, even in their heyday. I remember photographing an N class at Ilfracombe in 1960 hauling the afternoon train consisting of about 10 wagons. Take a look for pictures of West Country branch termini around that time and you will probably find them having a handful of wagons in the whole place.

You could put the goods store where the parcels platform is shown, keeping the two goods sidings, the outer one for loading and unloading and the inner one for holding empties or fulls waiting to be dealt with or taken away by the next trip.

And on the subject of fish. I seem to recall from earlier posts that your thoughts were that this would be the second station in Danemouth. The first being nearer the town centre, this being Danemouth Promenade (or something similar). 

In which case presumably most goods traffic would be dealt with at Danemouth (No.1), with only limited freight traffic at Danemouth Promenade. (Fish traffic perhaps), consequently a smaller goods yard might not be such an issue.

If plans have changed, forgive me for not keeping up.  :scratchhead:

The Danemouth Esplanade idea turned out to be something of a dead end. just too much track that made the whole thing a bit improbable and a pig to operate.

Danemouth Mk 1, the best part of six years ago, actually had a harbour line running from the bay platform!

At the back of my mind is still Kingswear without the turntable - tried one of those but it took too much space and tended to dominate the whole thing. So I've ended up with a busy branch seaside terminus.

Regards,

Dave

If you use the bay for a parcels van you will need a trap point.

Freight traffic at such places was fairly sparse, even in their heyday. I remember photographing an N class at Ilfracombe in 1960 hauling the afternoon train consisting of about 10 wagons. Take a look for pictures of West Country branch termini around that time and you will probably find them having a handful of wagons in the whole place.

You could put the goods store where the parcels platform is shown, keeping the two goods sidings, the outer one for loading and unloading and the inner one for holding empties or fulls waiting to be dealt with or taken away by the next trip.

Andy,

Thanks for the reminder about the catch point on the bay platform - I assume the autotrain could still use the platform provided that the vehicles parked at the buffers were fully braked e,g, GUVs.

Yes, by my period goods traffic would be quiet, I see the branch goods train as maybe six vans and a couple of coal wagons. No fish vans though as be 1960 much of it went by road e.g. Brixham.

This version of the plan has the parcels bay removed and I've marked the catch point.

post-7048-0-07650100-1468604077.jpg

Many thanks,

Dave

Dave, is this the sort of cutting your thinking of, but a little lower perhaps.

attachicon.gifPannier on the Clays 001.JPG

attachicon.gifPadstonian Service 001.JPG

Ah! Pencarne! Together with Berry Pomeroy, Hintock and Much Murkle the motivation to kill Danemouth Esplanade when I was dithering.

The cutting in your pictures will be used to make it appear the line does straight off in the fiddle yard rather than that second radius 90 deg. bend which will be hidden with a coach/car park on top (removable).

Along the back an embankment similar to this one of Berry Pomeroy

http://www.rmweb.co....-blt/?p=1850800

but sloping down from the fiddleyard end terminating in a cliff by the station building.

Regards,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Work on Danemouth has been paused whilst we have our central heating boiler replaced - one of the baseboards had to be moved to allow a larger 22mm gas pipe to be run - this was followed by some fun and games with the control electrics which ended up with them replacing all of the electrical bits yesterday.

Anyway all the track and points have been purchased - the week after the straight track was bought Lord and Butler had the new DCC concepts Code 75 flexi in stock - looks great but too late for me.

I've now laid the track out in the probable formation, it looks like this

post-7048-0-24361400-1470146413_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-70902100-1470146423_thumb.jpg

In the second picture you will see a couple of aerosols of Wickes Floor Adhesive - excellent for sticking the cork down, something I will be starting on Thursday or Friday.

Regards,

Dave

Archived