BR "Sturgeon" bogie rail carrier floor?

Signaller69

• RMweb Premium

Ok, so I undercoated them in grey, then Matt Black using car aerosols, a little Humbrol gloss varnish where transfers were to be applied then left to fully dry. Next day transfers were applied (mainly Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet for Scottish Region Sturgeons, yellow lettering: these are superb transfers), then a quick coat of aerosol Humbrol Acrylic Matt varnish and left overnight to dry again. This morning I found the varnish had bloomed a little which was annoying, although less so than if I had been doing a loco as the result actually looks weathered, without even starting on actual weathering! Result so far then:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160716_142656.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160716_142704.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160716_142722.jpg

Very nice indeed - thanks for posting the additional snaps.  They look good to me - never seen a clean one!

Cheers, 

Paul

The paintwork on these things tended to be neglected, so the varnish blooming may be quite a good thing!

I tried for a heavily weathered and patchy look on the one I have completed so far. I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I am quite happy with the result. I added a load of rails on some battens, and these also provide more than sufficient weight as well.

Sturgeon%20A%20Wagon%20Near%20Newton%20B

Yours looks really good in my opinion, pretty much the look I'm after with almost a bare wood finish to some planks, others being almost new, and a rusty patina on the steelwork. This is one wagon you really can go to town with the weathering, in fact it would be easy to overdo it I suspect, so I hope to get an understated look in the end!

Regards,

Martyn.

Very nice indeed - thanks for posting the additional snaps. They look good to me - never seen a clean one!

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Paul, hoping to get round to adding to the weathering over the weekend!

Regards,

Martyn.

Made a start on the weathering process, usually use enamels but thought I would try acrylics for a change, this being a set from Poundland. Quite pleased so far, about an hours work, much of which was experimenting with mixing colours. Trying to replicate the finish of the Sturgeon pictured in 1971 on P.73 of "British Railways Goods Wagons in Colour" (Hendry/Midland Publishing). Much work to do yet, this is only the first of 4 sides, then there are the interiors too.

post-28743-0-38271600-1468694451.jpgpost-28743-0-72801900-1468694472.jpgpost-28743-0-65344800-1468694488.jpg

The Tench version of this wagon could be quite hard to get hold of as there were not enough of them to go round, I once had to remove some track from a siding I was storing a Tench on, to prevent a Relaying Supervisor with more influence than myself over the running of the target locos from pinching a wagon I needed for the following weeks work.

The Tench version of this wagon could be quite hard to get hold of as there were not enough of them to go round, I once had to remove some track from a siding I was storing a Tench on, to prevent a Relaying Supervisor with more influence than myself over the running of the target locos from pinching a wagon I needed for the following weeks work.

Pretty drastic action then!

• RMweb Premium

More work done, 2 slightly different finishes, still more to do to finish.attachicon.gifIMG_20160718_141306.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160718_141226.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160718_141211.jpg

Martyn,

these both look spot on.  Amazing how a careful paint job can transform a nicely built plastic kit into a creaking heap of decrepit bits of timber and angle-iron over a few days' work.  Very nice.

Best wishes,

Paul

Martyn,

these both look spot on. Amazing how a careful paint job can transform a nicely built plastic kit into a creaking heap of decrepit bits of timber and angle-iron over a few days' work. Very nice.

Best wishes,

Paul

Many thanks Paul, hadn't thought of it that way but yes that is pretty much the aim! Just need to root out some decrepit rail now to furnish a load!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Just to clarify that (according to the Cambrian kit instructions) the TENCH were the air-braked YPA versions STILL WITH SIDE DOORS (as opposed to the flat bed versions), renamed thus in 1986, so presumably, and confusingly, the flats were still STURGEON regardless of brake type, although the point is also made that by 1986 very few were actually left with doors.

Just to clarify that (according to the Cambrian kit instructions) the TENCH were the air-braked YPA versions STILL WITH SIDE DOORS (as opposed to the flat bed versions), renamed thus in 1986, so presumably, and confusingly, the flats were still STURGEON regardless of brake type, although the point is also made that by 1986 very few were actually left with doors.

Hence the need sometimes for drastic action to hang on to them.

They could look quite smart http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsturgeon/edb3a11a http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsturgeon/e1caf46f8

Paul

Yes indeed, sadly my timescale is too early for them. Many thanks to you Paul for all the excellent photos, which I find great for checking details, lettering positions, loads carried etc, a very rich and fascinating resource to be able to access.

Archived