RMweb

Atlas Snap Track ISL Variations

In Model Railroader’s October 1976 issue, Russ Cain came up with an Atlas Snap Track Timesaver measuring 68x10 inches with a folding & portable benchwork that has 17x10 inch wings on the ends that collapsed the layout into a 34x10 inch easy to carry layout. I then saw someone built the layout while I was attending an NMRA Sunrise Trail Division meet a few years back.

In my drawings, I expanded the layout to 7x1 foot (folds into 42x12 inches) and 8x1 foot (folds into 48x12 inches) variations. I plan to make the layout especially portable by using the benchwork to store the rolling stock, power pack, and layout legs inside the framework. The turnouts will be my specialty, 18 inch radius Snap Track turnouts.

I figure that I will use between 2 and 4 cars during an operating session

7x1 foot

post-22448-0-93119700-1468507469_thumb.jpg

8x1 foot

post-22448-0-28495500-1468507511_thumb.jpg

So, Iain Rice's "vicarage study" idea was almost certainly inspired by this (given his interest in North American railroads). Wonder why he didn't give it credit?

I could ask him tomorrow .

So, Iain Rice's "vicarage study" idea was almost certainly inspired by this (given his interest in North American railroads). Wonder why he didn't give it credit?

I discussed this with Iain at the weekend and it was an original design for a British "shunting plank" as opposed to an American style "switching" layout.

Hope that clears this up for you Simon :)

Archived