RMweb

Remote/Automatic/DIY uncoupling methods?

Having looked at all the various types of uncoupling devices (Kadee, magnets, hand of God, etc.), I thought I'd see if anyone else has a DIY solution for a bit less money! I'm currently working on a version for standard OO tension locks involving cams lifting a piece of cardboard between the tracks - it's very 'bodgy' and I'll post a few images when the damn thing finally works...

So any unusual/novel uncoupling methods out there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For tension locks, I don't think you can beat the Brian Kirby magnetic method as described on here some while ago.

Simple, very effective and inexpensive.

Having looked at all the various types of uncoupling devices (Kadee, magnets, hand of God, etc.), I thought I'd see if anyone else has a DIY solution for a bit less money! I'm currently working on a version for standard OO tension locks involving cams lifting a piece of cardboard between the tracks - it's very 'bodgy' and I'll post a few images when the damn thing finally works...

So any unusual/novel uncoupling methods out there?

For tension locks and the Tillig continental couplers, I used a method similar to the one you describe. Mine were plastic or cardboard ramps between the tracks, raised and lowered by Slippery Sid wire in tube.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at my blog . Adds so much more fun to operating sessions. When I get around to it I'll be adding it to my other layout, and will install it on all future builds.

Knitting needles also make good operating actuators, that is if your base boards aren't too wide.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Nice to see all the different approaches! As for mine...

Prototype No.1 of the cam system is up and running: 

post-25124-0-30496800-1468692562_thumb.jpg

Turn the axle and the cam lifts the base, which is attached to the cardboard section between the rails. Simple, and works pretty well too, despite being made from a magnum stick, an old offcut of steel rod, some wire and one of those felt pads you put on the feet of furniture!

post-25124-0-23876100-1468692579_thumb.jpg

The lifted bit is supposed to look better, but this is only the mk.1. The next ones will be disguised as wooden walkways across the tracks, which hopefully will be less obvious/

The idea seems to be worth pursuing, though.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Dependent on how much you operate, eventually a coupler tail completes the cut through the plastic, and the train derails. No such trouble with the Brian Kirby system. Only lacks the 'latched uncoupled' feature to fully match Kadee.

No problem, just replace with another free one!

I have 2 problems with the Kirby system.

Over 140 wagons/coaches, none of which have Bachmann non magnetic tails.

Over precise positioning of wagons on coupler, not good at a distance for my eyes.

Nice to see all the different approaches! As for mine...

Prototype No.1 of the cam system is up and running: 

attachicon.gifWP_000813.jpg

Turn the axle and the cam lifts the base, which is attached to the cardboard section between the rails. Simple, and works pretty well too, despite being made from a magnum stick, an old offcut of steel rod, some wire and one of those felt pads you put on the feet of furniture!

attachicon.gifWP_000814.jpg

The lifted bit is supposed to look better, but this is only the mk.1. The next ones will be disguised as wooden walkways across the tracks, which hopefully will be less obvious/

The idea seems to be worth pursuing, though.

Interesting!

thinks - how about a little balloon you inflate under the plate, a quick squeeze and away you go

• RMweb Premium

For areas where the uncoupler isn't installed I also have a long dentists pick and an extra long cable on my hand held controller.  :sungum:

Edited by Sasquatch

• 1 year later...

If you have plenty of time and a limited budget and don't want to bin tension locks the Brian Kirby uncoupler is very good, however with the very cheap 20p or less each Chinese super neo magnets it might be worth using Turbosnail's cam system to raise and lower magnets (in pairs) around the goods yard etc to give multiple uncoupling places.

I am thinking you could detach a single van at an end load dock and still recouple if you used a movable magnet.

• RMweb Gold

I worked through the various options recently and having rejected kadees because they come apart at gradient changes, I have settled back on small tension locks and the Heathcote Electronics uncoupler.

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118492-heathcote-electronics-uncoupler-for-tension-lock-couplings/

Tony