OO Gauge - In a coffee table...

Haven't posted in long time but wanted people opinions,suggestions and experience , someone must be as mad as me!?

The other day i was trawling through ebay looking for a small layout possibly to refurb or build .... i came across this :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252465166335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

- An n gauge railway custom built to work as a coffee table as well. 

Then i had thought this would be ideal for the man cave... also known as shed.

I didn't want a big layout as the shed caters for a few of different uses of mine.

At this point its purely a design/concept but i will certainly be looking into this further.

The table is designed using 9mm MDF with batten base, normally i would tell everyone to use some form of ply however i wanted this to be built from one sheet of 1220x2400 mdd sheet plus 2 lengths of softwood batten as bracing.

The table will be primed and painted / vinyl wrapped externally or both. Or any other bright ideas?

The track plan created in scare is purely to show a possible way of filling the space and the plans were drawn up on sketchup to scale. The top left picture shows the cuts to the board.

The top of the table will have hinges and an gold up lid and the front will also drop down secured on magnetic catches.

This may be of no interest to anyone however any comments would be appreciated both plusses and minuses <--- (if thats a word)

Please open the attached picture to see the plans.... 

Regards 

FatFace98 :sungum: 

Found lurking in some model shop near you....

Coffee table rmweb.tiff

That's an interesting idea. It's slightly larger than my 016.5 layout will be (if I ever get cracking on with it). Building height could be a problem in 016.5, but they could be designed to lay flat for storage. It would also mean I could work on it in the living room instead of the kitchen. Shame my carpentry skills probably aren't up to building the table though.

Perfectly possible, but one will have to design the track and buildings carefully, so that it will work in the space avalible. After all there have been many sucessful layouts built to fit on an ironing boards.

For inspiration look @ Snug End!

Julie

Archived