The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

... Having also briefly owned a CX500 ...

You've thereby reminded me that I also once briefly owned a CX500.  I have no idea why I decided to buy it, and in fact don't remember much about it apart from a constant feeling of unease about the length of that camchain. 

Ref weird mopeds, I only ever had one, but it had the distinction of being the only bike I was ever paid to take off the owner's hands.  He gave me a fiver to remove it from his back garden.  Can't remember what the make was, but it was the engine was seized solid.  Only time I've ever actually seen a cracked piston.  Drilled a small hole at the end of the crack, put it back together, got everything working, and to my amazement it MOT'd.  Got shut of it PDQ though as it really wasn't my thing ...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, spikey said:

You've thereby reminded me that I also once briefly owned a CX500.  I have no idea why I decided to buy it, and in fact don't remember much about it apart from a constant feeling of unease about the length of that camchain. 

I really liked my CX - I'd have another one tomorrow; it was the original model, not a Eurosport thingy.  I was told the B model CX's (those with the aluminium radiator surround) were not as prone to cam chain failure as the models were (black plastic surround).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

That's a pretty little bike. You can see where our manufacturers got the Italian style sports tank fashion from. Even Royal Enfield, makers of sturdy and reliable machines got into it with the Continental GT. Not their finest hour, the 5 speed box was a fragile compromise, thanks to the accountants, but still one of the best looking British 250's.

The only real problem I had with the CX500 was the water pump, you often saw bikes for sale with the pump and seal included.

The trouble was, you had to split the entire front half of the frame off in order to change the pump.

Only then would you know if the ceramic pump washer had been ignored for too long and the end face of the camshaft was scored and rust pitted. That meant an engine strip down and expensive new camshaft which of course, outweighed any value in the bike.

I never came across the infamous Honda Self Adjusting/Dismantling cam chain tensioner on them, unlike the CB100N (another nice bike marred by cheapskate engineering, who says it was just the British? ) I just didn't like the high center of gravity, especially when cornering. 

I preferred my Guzzi T3, even though it was a hacked about banger of a 60s style caff racer, done well before the current resurgence. I sold it back to my mate, who put it through an Astra that pulled out on him.

He says that he still misses it, despite the crash shortening his left arm a little.

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with hind paws again...
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The CX camchain issue was actually the bolt used to hold it on - that snapped.  Due to the camshaft having a brief position when all followers were on the base circle, causing a pulsation in the tension.  Bigger bolts sorted that, from that point on they were OK.  The water pump seal though...ugh.  

The Eurosport CX 500/650was very comfortable indeed, having the turbo seat and tank.  The 650's could get a shuffle on too, 120ish if you were brave enough.  Still top heavy though. Mrs H worked at a Honda dealers back then, we got to ride everything going.  Even (once, briefly ) an RC30.  

As for cyclemotors, a pal here has one for sale if you want one - Cyclemaster? 

• Like 4

I was given a Puch Maxi 40 years ago.  It ran, it stopped...sometimes unintentionally. Didn't get on with it too well. Maybe I was just to big a body for it?

Passed it onto a brassic New Zealander who lived next door, roughly 39 years and 11 months ago...

• Like 2

On 20/05/2022 at 17:18, MrWolf said:

I never came across the infamous Honda Self Adjusting/Dismantling cam chain tensioner on them, unlike the CB100N (another nice bike marred by cheapskate engineering, who says it was just the British? ) I just didn't like the high center of gravity, especially when cornering.

Biggest CB100N problem was the cable operated front disk brake. Which went out of adjustment very quickly. Proof that someone at Honda had a sick sense of humour!

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I think in the Laverda one he's just about to tell her she's just sat in the patch of oil...........

Is that why she's trying to rub the back of her leg with her right hand?

Or is that a totally unconnected hand?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Is that why she's trying to rub the back of her leg with her right hand?

Or is that a totally unconnected hand?

I'm relieved to see that it isn't only me who was intrigued by that unlikely right hand.  I'd forgotten about the Starfire: I had the equivalent Triumph at one time in the mid-70s but I'm jiggered if I can remember what they called it.  Decent little bike IIRC and looked nice too.

Had a go on a brand new G2S once and couldn't see the point of it.  A lad at the club had got his mother to buy him it to pass his test on, which in due course he did.  Next time we saw him he'd swapped it for a brand new 750 G15CSR complete with clip-ons and rearsets and a brand-new bird on the back.  A couple of days later they were both dead, he having lost it bigtime on an S bend.

At that time I was attending to the daughter of the bloke whose firm recovered the bike, which is how I found out that it had well under 100 miles on the clock when everything stopped ...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been negotiating for an Evolution engine, 80" Electra Glide for the past few weeks. These are now around the Sportster cost levels, mostly because they are getting old and expensive to maintain. 

Most of them have the usual Harley "bling" disease with unrealistic asking prices according, but there are some bargains around.

This one had around £1500 spent on it by a long term owner to recommission it after Covid, but the owner bought a lighter, newer bike instead. 

So we did a deal and I picked it up today, and rode it home from Kent. Nice day for a canter, apart from a foul interlude queueing in the rain at Dartford....

Nice bike, much like a shovel head to ride but a bit faster and without so much vibration. A bit loud for my taste but generally very original with good provenance. 

283152551_5507934949224701_7817451028030928365_n.jpg.52ae1df86435435fe7f050fcfc74ffb3.jpg

• Like 7

Well done on getting the bike you wanted, I know how difficult it can be and hope you managed to get it for a decent price.

I know what you mean about the bling, it's always put me off Harleys and other cruisers. 

Don't get me started on the matching biker "lifestyle" accessories. 😉

At the other end of the scale, I'm trying to negotiate a deal on a circa 1950 Ambassador 197cc. Not even 100% sure what model, as it's dismantled, but the irreplaceable tinwork is all there.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

283152551_5507934949224701_7817451028030928365_n.jpg.52ae1df86435435fe7f050fcfc74ffb3.jpg

Very nice Mr. Shovel.  Just one question:  are you a Bank Manager by any chance? 😁

Hat, coat, gone - before I have nightmares about cleaning such a bike.......

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Well done on getting the bike you wanted, I know how difficult it can be and hope you managed to get it for a decent price.

I know what you mean about the bling, it's always put me off Harleys and other cruisers. 

Don't get me started on the matching biker "lifestyle" accessories. 😉

At the other end of the scale, I'm trying to negotiate a deal on a circa 1950 Ambassador 197cc. Not even 100% sure what model, as it's dismantled, but the irreplaceable tinwork is all there.

It wasn't difficult but it took a little while. The PO didn't really want to accept that he couldn't cope with it any more, almost 3 years of near-inactivity is a long time at our time of life. My wife thought I was being childish by taking on agency work sorting parcels for 6 months, but I definitely feel the benefit now for having worked through the past two years plus. 

It's really original apart from the silencers, if such they can be called but even they aren't offensive by V&H standards, no advisory at MoT. I refitted the big top box and dual seat. Comes with a lot of history and docs, 3 owners from new, all in UK. 

Biker lifestyle gear, ha ha. I don't really do "skulls and flames" although I do have a Harley leather jacket with numerous badges which I've accumulated over time. Yesterday was "first time out" for a cheapo cordura riding jacket I bought some years ago and have never worn, thought I might want waterproofs and I wasn't wrong! Mostly it was a good ride but I had a perfectly foul half-hour in the rain near Dartford. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would definitely say that modern tyres improve those old "hogs" greatly. The originals really aren't very clever. 

Tinware is a killer on restorations, isn't it? These days I'd look for reasonably complete tins, no rot in the frame and nor really worry about mechanical condition, because those parts are fairly easy (if not cheap)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Very nice Mr. Shovel.  Just one question:  are you a Bank Manager by any chance? 😁

Hat, coat, gone - before I have nightmares about cleaning such a bike.......

No, just someone who has had motorcycles long enough to have some "cash in hand". I need to get busy and sell something now! 

Harleys are easy to clean, I just use a bucket of soapy water and a hose. Most of the panniers and panels are ABS, the paint on the tank is really deep and the chrome and alloy takes a first tarnish then doesn't go beyond that. I just don't let bikes get dirty and stay dirty, as so many seem to do. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I'm clicking "Like" because I'm happy you've got yourself a bike of your choice.

But I still don't "get" Harleys myself.

They are just big soft old Teddy bears. This one lollops along at between 65 and 75 and runs up to 80-85 quite easily  and in conditions like yesterday, fairly busy but free flowing motorway traffic that seems about right. 

I had a short list of bikes I was looking at, including a Yamaha Royal Venture but couldn't find a good one  same for the 1100 twin and the Kawasaki "pseudo Electra Glide", whatever its called. I nearly bought an older Gold Wing but couldn't close the deal at what I thought was a realistic price for a bike with significant underlying corrosion issues requiring attention. 

These big cruisers are, as someone else remarked  recently, coming into the "bargain" market and a lot if them are getting butchered. I basically did this deal because the PO didn't want to see his old bike end up that way  after all they are only original once 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I'm clicking "Like" because I'm happy you've got yourself a bike of your choice.

But I still don't "get" Harleys myself.

Same here ...

ETA - Any chance of a snap of it with dualseat and top box so The Lady Wife can see how the passenger accommodation works? In particular she's puzzled where their feet go.

Edited by spikey
  • Like 3