The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

From  memory,  (may  be  wrong)  I  think  some  tyres  had  the  arrow  for  use  as  a  rear  tyre  but  were  fitted  the  other  way  round  if  used  on  the  front.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, IWCR said:

From  memory,  (may  be  wrong)  I  think  some  tyres  had  the  arrow  for  use  as  a  rear  tyre  but  were  fitted  the  other  way  round  if  used  on  the  front.

Pete

I was just going to say the same. If it is the only arrow, then it is wrong, but without being able to read the text it might be correct if the tyre is designed to be run different directions on different ends.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The tyres on the T100 look like TT100s or the modern equivalent thereof.  From memory of when I used them on my BSA A65,  they had directional arrows for fitting, one direction on the rear and the opposite on the front. The idea being to optimise grip either for traction or braking.   The original TT100s were distinctly triangular section and you could feel effect of this.

On some bikes, they could do funny things with the handling.  A lot of people fitted them to try taming the alleged wayward handing of early Japanese big fours and found the results not too good. They were standard OE fitting on the Laverda triples, which they did suit.

I'd expect them to be OK for the T100 as they were originally designed, I believe, for the late 1960s production racing Triumphs.  Malcolm Uphill's 100mph lap of the TT on a Bonneville being achieved on them, hence the tyre name.

On the subject of tyres, it looks like Avon's days are numbered, the brand having been taken over by Cooper Tyres, who have announced closure of the the Melksham factory. That's a shame because their Roadrider tyres are excellent.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

The original TT100s were distinctly triangular section and you could feel effect of this ...

Especially when you fitted a pair to your Tiger 100, then took it out later on a wet road, and nipped smartly round a bend in town having forgotten about the new tyres ...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

336674954_1301837740675340_8350366337641

Another of the many things that have always puzzled me.  How exactly did they route the speedo cable through the tank?  And the wiring.  Is there just a fair-sized hole under the triangular panel, or what?

• Like 2

This picture from www.vintagebikecustoms.com shows a typical BSA "panel" tank. In this case  everything comes up through the tunnel to the rear and the speedometer has an angle drive.

607890763-1.jpg.331bcdd30838cb36ad96ebec69d91c09.jpg

Other machines had a drive straight up from the gearbox and into the bottom of the speedometer, the rest of the electrics being on the handlebar and headlamp as normal.

classic-motorcycle-bsa-c10-c11-tank-pre-painted-black-chrome-gold-finish-p4896-8537_image.jpg.94c690de1cb95af326941f006571c7b8.jpg

Cheshire classic motorcycles 

Edited by MrWolf
Photo credit
  • Informative/Useful 2

Cheers for solving the mystery.  I'd love to see the speedo cable route on some of these "tank-top" bikes.  It's difficult to imagine - as is the perceived advantage from a production/profit POV, given all that extra metal-bashing and fairly intricate welding/brazing.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've always thought that was rather neat. Didn't they carry on with the cables hidden in the handlebars too?

The advance/retard was operated by a piano wire connected to the left grip, which was discontinued when they switched to the "nosecone" motors in the 70s - I don't believe any shovel-head had them. 

The throttle had an internal piano wire until I think, 1974 or 1975. My 1976 Sportster with the Keihin butterfly carb had an external throttle. 

The wiring inside the handlebars to the horn and dip switch was discontinued with the new control pods that came with disc brakes in 1971. 

I believe the early Electra Glides had internal wiring to a start button like a horn button, and no kill switch but it's hard to be sure. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

FZR now MOTed.

Headlight dip beam and sidelight then decided not to work. Sidelight turned out to be aging terminals in the connector to the bulb (replaced the terminals). Bulb was an odd one - bulb looked fine but no circuit in it for the low beam filament. New bulb instantly fixed it.

All the best

Katy

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

A trip to Pure Triumph in Woburn this morning for coffee.   Look we went on proper (aka old) bikes 😀

Just out of interest I did walk around the showroom of new offerings.    

There were prices up to ~£22500 - I'd want a house for that much!   

No orders were placed 🤣

image.png.bbc02fb6c0274381af6279b038c3a7be.png

Alan

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And plenty of interesting machines at Jordan’s Mill before the start of the VMCC’s Bedfordshire Section Rideout this morning.

Me? I just went for breakfast 😀

B30D9A95-8A71-491F-BDAB-A441633536DD.jpeg

Edited by PupCam
Spare "but" removed!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I haven't had a chance to look at the tyres on Gordon's T100 again as he's been in dock, having a hernia fixed that turned out to be a bit nasty.  Once he can close his legs again he'll be out again with the boys on a Friday morning! 😂 Shouldn't laugh but he's like a water melon salesman.....

I doubt they tyres are on wrong, this is a guy with a TT Silver Replica - a real one.  He's mighty good.  It may well be that if they are TT100 replicas they don't suit the bike, but it is really more the fork action he talks about, he did get some different grade fork oils of me last year to have a fiddle about with it.  IIRC he didn't rebuild this bike (he did the Dommie) so there is always the wonder if it's right in the first place.  More news when he's fit and functioning once more.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

... but he's like a water melon salesman.... ...

Give over you cruel sod.  That brought back memories of a problem I had in 1974 after my £30 vasectomy done under local in the GP's surgery one lunchtime (during which procedure, incidentally, he managed to polish off a cheese and pickle sandwich).  The (black) A & E doctor made the same comment when I was carted there the next day ...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2023 at 15:13, New Haven Neil said:

I haven't had a chance to look at the tyres on Gordon's T100 again as he's been in dock, having a hernia fixed that turned out to be a bit nasty.  Once he can close his legs again he'll be out again with the boys on a Friday morning! 😂 Shouldn't laugh but he's like a water melon salesman.....

It's ok, all is good Neil. The yellow arrow will be due to the tyre fitter reading the wording on the sidewall:

image.png.54c4f34184781c30bf28e67cc42edfa4.png

On 20/03/2023 at 08:51, 2mmMark said:

The tyres on the T100 look like TT100s or the modern equivalent thereof.

It's a K82, the marking is just above the lower mudguard stay.

Edited by 57xx
Dyslexic numbers
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After almost 2 years and scouring the East of England for bits to get my 84 year old BSA B21 engine back on the road after it finally succumbed to all the butchery inflicted on it by a "Previous Owner" I had a successful first start today.    

RawMaterial.jpg.dc6215f70ebb2f550aa80a3bfa1271f8.jpg

The reason why the poor little thing gave up on me and kept seizing turned out to be a worn timing side case that allowed the bronze timing side bearing to rotate about 15 degrees - plenty enough to completely block the main oil feed to the big end / bottom end ....

WonkyBearing.jpg.6b7e0215c9386e44e30591506e30ec7f.jpg

The fact that a replacement conrod and Triumph high compression piston had been fitted that took the compression from the standard 6.2:1 to something like 11.5:1 did for the big end as well (but it didn't half go!)  Other butcher included installation of non standard cam followers and guides with the aid of a big hammer that resulted in great chunks of the timing case casting falling off.   That didn't seem to worry the PO.

FollowerGuides-BrokenCastingSmall.JPG.2bd97064b275146299a2ff3ace463394.JPG

I had to source a replacement timing side crankcase, standard conrod & piston, big end, timing side main bearing, cam followers and tappet adapters. The original engine was a '39 B21 De Luxe.  The best crankcase I could get was a '37 B21 standard so some mods have had to be done primarily to replace the unavailable standard idler gear with timed breather for the later, wider De Luxe version.   The shallow standard timing cover had to be machined to accommodate the "fat idler",  a matching stub axle had to be mounted in the hole that would have had the timed breather running in it, an oil way from the main crank chamber drilled and various other tweaks.   

CoverMachining.jpg.60721bd23380f33ed7f75c1f327615da.jpg

FatIdler.jpg.3015e249ab0fbaf1def157d0e1a45fa7.jpg

The MagDyno platform had to be modified to match the later strap mounting (what a carp way of holding the MagDyno on and in the correct mesh!) and the MagDyno shaft (with no mounting shims) was eccentric to the hole in the timing case resulting in the lip seal that keeps the oil in the case and out of the mag not fitting.  A weird and wonderful egg shaped eccentric Nylon plate-cum-seal was made to replace it and hopefully that will stay firmly wedged in place in the timing side casting - time will tell!

The clutch still needs attention and I noticed while the clutch was out that the rear face of the teeth on the clutch primary drive sprocket are very badly worn.  After re-assembling the drive it appears that the two primary sprockets are about 10 mm out of line!    No doubt due to the fact that at some point in it's history its gearbox was replaced with an earlier Blue Star one.   Not quite certain how I can sort that, I'll have to put my thinking cap on!

Pretty little bike though 😀

BeezaOuting(4)-Small.jpg.db35a17dd33848cf673ef29bd6960209.jpg

Alan

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, spikey said:

image.png.99cd5ce110452f6f96ff8f3e2144ec1b.png

Is that a milling cutter in the chuck and the cover screwed onto a plate hung off a vertical slide on the cross slide, or am I looking at it wrong?

Spot on, though I'm sure Puppers will be along to give us more details....

(Am I imagining it, or should cutters really be held in a collet chuck to stop them coming loose?)

• Like 1