Loadhaul Class 122

JDW

• RMweb Premium

Hi, another quick question on interiors, I have a Loadhaul class 122 route learning unit, and was wondering what as actually inside it, was the original interior retained, were the seats removed, was there anything else inside? What was the colour scheme of the interior? Thanks :-)

When i looked at it when it was at Thornaby, the interior was rough, some seats remained on the front row, i assume to aid route learning and observation.

The rest had been removed, it still had some of the original light fittings in the ceiling, the rest of the interior was as it was in service.

• RMweb Gold

The interior was modified, the van end doors were sealed ( in reality screwed shut and filled) both cab bulkheads were cut down and seats in each ends . I think they mayhave been slightly tiered . In the saloon there was a kitchen area ( which never worked) and some fixed seats with tables which served as a mess area

• RMweb Gold

The area where the opening door is was the kitchen area , between that and the former brake area was the mess area . Between the kitchen area and the seats at no1 end was empty.

It's been a long time since I worked on it.

It was always a shame there was no loo as we did some long runs with it.

It was never the most reliable unit

When it was down at Masboro for a few months (1996 ish) on route learning duties,  there would be a little teddy bear (depot mascot) in the front window. As the depot inspectors, my colleague and I explained that it was not permitted to leave the unit as it was not equipped with a yellow vest. Within days a driver's wife had sewn together a high vis vest for said Teddy and after successfully passing a written exam we completed  a PTS card for Teddy too.

He was also seen road learning on the Great Wall of China, Hong Kong or Singapore ,France and even Victoria Falls. Still have the pictures as evidence.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

It was a long time back. Only things I can remember were the tiered seats and the empty space that you referred to. Mick Carbro always reminded me of Herr Flick.

Cheers, you're dead right about Mick. I met him a couple of years back ,he's not been a well man

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks, very useful, its still on my "to do" list, though by coincidence sat on my desk right now for DCC fitting.  If I can source some suitable seats, I might have a go while its out.  

Archived