Steam Locos - when to blow the Whistle

Danemouth

In the layout threads I've been watching videos of AndyP's Pencarne and Coachman's Oswestry. As a result I've decided to dip a toe in the water of DCC sound.

It suddenly dawned on me that I don't know when, on the prototype, a whistle on a steam loco was actually sounded.

In terms of a GWR BR(W) branch line could somebody point me at a resource for this info please?

I can make some guesses e.g. when a train departs but it would be nice to do things properly rather than guessing!

Many thanks,

Dave

Drivers of double headed locos also use the whistle to communicate between each another (I don't know the codes they use though). There's also other uses I think, such as to alert a signalman to the train's presence (not every time it passes a 'box though!). You'll probably have noticed that GWR locos have two different-sized whistles, and these sound different, obviously, but I'm ashamed to say I've not actually noticed which one is used most of the time. When you're at a preserved railway the starting (of the train) whistle is often quite long blast, but when a light loco is moving off, say when running round, it's just a short toot. Steam whistles (and diesel horns for that matter) are usually overdone on model railways, often with whistling and tooting at random locations, which sounds silly.    

If the placement of 'W' or 'SW' boards is to be taken as a guide, then the whistle would be used to warn of the train's approach.  Occupation crossings, footpath/ bridleway crossings and their ilk are typical.

• RMweb Premium

The whistle is also used to advise the signaller that a (shunt) move is clear of points, which can now be set for the reverse move over them (often in the opposite direction).

There was also the 'local code for engine whistles' where a specific code of long, short and crow whistles were used by crews to inform the signalman which location the loco, or train, was going to; such as 4 long blasts were to let the 'bobby' at Wolverhampton North box know the light engine was bound for Oxley shed, or 1 long, and 1 crow were for Stafford Road via Stafford Junction.

• RMweb Gold

There was also the 'local code for engine whistles' where a specific code of long, short and crow whistles were used by crews to inform the signalman which location the loco, or train, was going to; such as 4 long blasts were to let the 'bobby' at Wolverhampton North box know the light engine was bound for Oxley shed, or 1 long, and 1 crow were for Stafford Road via Stafford Junction.

In one of the South Wales Sectional Appendixes (Cardiff Valleys) the list of local whistle codes occupies thirteen and a half pages, with almost half a page for the standard whistle codes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I suspect you're more likely to be interested in an earlier period in view of your original question and it will be quite different from today's railway   So I'll try to give most of the 'ordinary' whistles signals as they were during the 1950s and '60s - 

To acknowledge a green handsignal from a signalman indicating a train has been accepted under the Warning - 1 short whistle

Train detained at a stop signal with either a diamond plate or the Driver has the token etc on a single line - whistle to be sounded (different number of blasts on the whistle for Main & Relief Lines)

Train passing a signal at danger - whistle to be sounded (I short whistle although not clarified in the Rule Book)

Whistle to be sounded -

In running when persons seen to be on or near the line also when unable to obtain a clear viewahead in case persons are on or near the line,

(If a person on or near the line does not acknowledge that whistle aeries of 'pop' whistles to be sounded)

When approaching or leaving a station when there is another train standing on an adjacent line,

When approaching or passing any place where shunting is taking place on the next adjoining line or siding,

When entering and emerging from a tunnel,

Frequently when passing through long tunnels.

When approaching a junction give the required junction whistle if the signals are at danger or if the signal is lowered for the wrong route.

The whistle must be sounded. (the appropriate number of times) in various circumstances when working with an assistant engine - particularly applies when starting the train (two crows to be exchanged).

To attract the attention of the Guard if waiting his handsignal to start/restart a freight train - 1 short whistle.

If the Driver requires the assistance of the Guard's brake when working a freight train - 3 short sharp whistles

If a Driver sees cattle on the line opposite to that on which his train is running he must sound the whistle and exhibit a hand danger signal to any train approaching on that line.  Same to done when running forward to protect an obstruction.

A series of 'pop' whistles to be sounded when running in the wrong direction to assists a failed train etc.

At various times during single line working and in the vicinity of engineering works including while working trains in or into possessions - whistle to be sounded.

• RMweb Gold

Western Region Standard Whistle Codes 1950 -

These effectively mean the line I am on -

Main Lines - 1 whistle

Relief Lines - 2 whistles

To or from Platform Loops - 3 whistles

Branch Lines - 3 whistles

Goods Lines - 4 whistles

Bay Lines - 2 short whistles

For crossing use a combination of above, e.g Main to Relief Line 1 pause 2, Relief Line to Main Line 2 pause 1

To engine sheds - 4 short whistles

Yards, to or from - 1 crow

At a crossover road ready to crossover (as near as I can translate)

Main Line 1 crow and 1 whistle

Relief Line - 1 crow and 2 whistles

Train calling or terminating at next 'box but one - 4 pause 3

Train requiring to call for water at next 'box but one - 3 pause 4

Train terminating or calling at next 'box - 3 pause 3

In siding clear of running lines - 3 short sharp whistles

Fire on permanent way - 1 crow, 1 long, 1 crow

N.B.  The WR Standard code had changed considerably - being greatly simplified - by 1960 and had disappeared completely from WR publications by the late 1960s.

• RMweb Gold

Or you could follow the practice of some preserved railway drivers and blow it at least every two minutes and anything and everything!

Living near the North Norfolk railway some drivers steam and diesel really P me off!

Or you could follow the practice of some preserved railway drivers and blow it at least every two minutes and anything and everything!

Living near the North Norfolk railway some drivers steam and diesel really P me off!

Hence my comment in post 3. Seems like some modellers may be replicating the the sounds heard at some preserved railways on their non-preservation era layouts!

Hence my comment in post 3. Seems like some modellers may be replicating the the sounds heard at some preserved railways on their non-preservation era layouts!

Which is why I asked the question originally!  Preserved  lines IMHO seem to sound the whistle for any reason - if I am to adopt sound then I would want to use it as it was used in the 50s and 60s.

Cheers,

Dave

There is one more.

Random toots to move deer from the line.

Got several t shirts for that one!

BTW all preserved railways get complaints from the 'neighbours' and this can vary from overuse of whistles/horns down to steam smuts on the washing via too much noise. There is one killer argument. The railway was almost invariably there before the complainant's house was and absolutely certainly before the complainant was born!

I've got no issues living near a preserved railway provided it's operated professionally

Well yes they are from what I have seen. They have to be on the ball as any accident will be considered absolutely unneccesary from the get go.

On a slightly different tack, a fair amount of preserved railway income is generated by 'driver experience' and I suspect that any restriction on using the horn or whistle fairly liberally might mar that experience. It has to be said though that most railways are pretty much contained in and around the towns/villages they run through or past so use of any warning signal apart from the short toot to say 'I am moving' is probably unneccesary.

Archived