Sound for a Rebuilt BoB

St. Simon

Hi,

I've been thinking about fitting DCC Sound (likely to be South West Digital) to a Hornby rebuilt Battle of Britain and I would like to know what speakers have people fitted and where on the loco?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

I have the factory fitted Hornby sound rebuilds. Not sure who did the sound for them. The speaker and decoder are in the tender with a plug and socket harness across the drawbar.

In earlier Hornby Rebuilds there was only enough space in the smoke box for a small decoder so if you have one of those I would suggest opening up the tender and adding both the decoder and speaker in there. I have yet to do such to one of these earleir models.

I have the factory fitted Hornby sound rebuilds. Not sure who did the sound for them. The speaker and decoder are in the tender with a plug and socket harness across the drawbar.

In earlier Hornby Rebuilds there was only enough space in the smoke box for a small decoder so if you have one of those I would suggest opening up the tender and adding both the decoder and speaker in there. I have yet to do such to one of these earleir models.

The Locoman West Country is available shortly, see

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I eventually got round to purchasing the Hornby TTS Sound decoder for the Merchant Navy for my BoB, as well as a new speaker.

I've fitted the speaker in the tender and fitted the decoder plug, however, I can't find the space to fit the decoder itself, has anyone managed to fit a Hornby TTS decoder to one of the original batch rebuilt Battle of Britains.

Simon

I have a DCC Ready Merchant Navy with decoder socket in the loco and there was room to sit a small cube speaker on the shelf at the front of the chassis. the BoB should be similar space envelope.

IMG_0723.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:21, scoobyra said:

My RBMN has a sugar cube under the chimney (removed weight) and a bass reflex in the tender. It sounds spot on. Sound is Paul Chetter via Digitrains

Hi Scooby, 

how did you get the weight out, I have undone the screw that holds it into the body and there is a bit of movement towards the smokebox of the loco but it doesn't seem to want to come out, any ideas or suggestions if you had this?  

Regards

Pete 

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

Hi Scooby, 

how did you get the weight out, I have undone the screw that holds it into the body and there is a bit of movement towards the smokebox of the loco but it doesn't seem to want to come out, any ideas or suggestions if you had this?  

Regards

Pete 

Hi Pete

Once you've undone the screw, remove the smokebox door and it'll fall out

Cheers

Mike

On 11/03/2019 at 12:14, scoobyra said:

Hi Pete

Once you've undone the screw, remove the smokebox door and it'll fall out

Cheers

Mike

Thanks that makes more sense any other tips on getting the smokebox door off it seems firmly in place with little to get purchase on?

cheers 

pete