7mm RJH Class 47 Drive

Richard Pike

Hi

I am in the process of rebuilding an old RJH Class 47, it was originally single RJH motor driving two axles via a belt. I have replaced the original motor with a new RJH motor and worm drive and fitted a Delrin chain drive on the two axles, however the gear train is very noisy and performance very erratic.

Can anyone recommend a  more refined drive system that I can adapt ?.

You shouldn't get much noise really  if any from Delrin chain?   I prefer to use a gear box rather than worm & gear though.

The Delrin is very smooth and quite, it is the worm and gear, I have tried umpteen adjustments but can't get it quiet.

Can you recommend a suitable Gear box ?.

Richard,

Please forgive me if this is teaching granny...

Worm & wheel:

you need to ensure that:-

* their axes are at 90 degrees to each other,

* that neither of them can move axially so as to cause something else to rub (particularly the worm, this can cause issues with some motors),

* that the gearbox is rigid, and

* that there's something of the order of a Rizla blue fag paper or less clearance between the teeth.

With these conditions met, it should be quiet & smooth.

If it's a fold-up box, it's very important to fold it up square, and solder the folds. Then solder the axle bearings in place with the gears in mesh. Then you can properly adjust the mesh by means of the slots for the motor screws.

HTH

Simon

The old RJH set up relies on (IIRC) the motor/worm fastening to the bogie top plate. Correct meshing can be obtained as long as the gearset is OK but as the whole thing is rather flexible, meshing can end up way out as soon as the chassis exerts any heft under the loco! Best replace with a gearbox as suggested... :senile:

JF.

Edit. Just checked the PRMRP website, the bogies are still the same...

Archived