Some of my Scalescenes Efforts

A new section to the forum eh! Well go on then here are some of my Scalecenes efforts on John Geeee's Garden Shed. Some of these pics have appeared on my blog but anyway just to get things started please see below. I must say I enjoy building these kits and I like to use them to fill a couple of spaces. I may replace them as years go by but for now they suit my experience and budget. I am currently creating a new station from the medium station kit and platforms. I have also downloaded the roads, platforms, and retaining walls kits for later experiments.

Its a big mill kit and it was difficult to keep everything square. The pics make the bottom curve in more than it actually does. I like to use Daler Rowney adhesive backed card available in A1 sheets from Hobbycraft, makes life a bit easier. I also print everything onto heavier quality inkjet paper rather than just lighter standard photocopy paper. The only problem I found at first was that my Epson 950 printer kept giving wierd colours so I have to really reduce the cyan and increase the yellow in the printer settings for everything.

P3152225med.jpg

P2012013edit.jpg

P3152231med.jpg

P3152252med.jpg

P3152260med.jpg

I recently added these small low relief buildings and concrete base. I still have a lot to do to tidy up the edges etc and I have to do something better with the backscene as soon as I figure out what :rolleyes:

P1253278med.jpg

P1253280med.jpg

P1253274med.jpg

Cheers

John Geeeee

Certainly impressive. Big beast of a building!

Suppose you pin or glue a straight rigid batten or angle to your baseboard along the inside face of the front and back wall, so that when you place the building down in its spot, you have to spring the bottom section of walls over to force them to move outwards, to assume the vertical? The visible surfaces of the batten (if any) could be covered by some images from the Scalescenes pages e.g. something like stained concrete . . .

Or has the curve set in with such strength, that this would threaten to pull the walls off the internal floors? (Assuming there are floors jointed to the walls in question: I am unsure if your first photo is showing the front of the building with the front wall off).

Cheers, Tony

Nice thinking Tony. Using small battens to push out the bottom may be something I will look at. The first picture is from the back. I did not model the back because it cannot be seen . I just added the strip at the top to support the roof and to keep everything square.

Cheers

John Geeeee

• RMweb Gold

I do like this! The warehouse is a real beast, looks great (I've just bought a download of one, although it may get adapted rather than built as per instructions).

I also like your low-relief small factory freebie, which I intend to use in an adapted form on Callow Lane.

Here is a row of terraced cottages built for Callow Lane a couple of years ago (most of the windows are in fact of my own manufacture):

post-57-126856800181_thumb.jpg

post-57-126856785432_thumb.jpg

The Skaledale signalbox is temporary, and will be replaced by an etched kit for a similar structure.

Many thanks John for posting the images of your very impressive warehouse structure. Stiffening battens at the base sounds like a pretty good plan to me. A bit foliage or yard clutter is also nice easy way to disguise any slight undulations or gaps. I find it really helpful to build all my structures on a large sheet of glass or ceramic tile, this certainly helps a lot to get the walls as square and level as is possible.

I particularly like the four large doors across the front, they really look the part!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are a few of my efforts.

This is my N-gauge 'Wold's End' layout.

It's a direct copy of my OO Wolds end layout.

I've added the warehouse chimney and the low relief small terrace houses along the back.

I know the book stall is not sitting flat, I still need to add newspapers and make sure the light inside works, so it's not glued down as yet.

post-6745-126945810345_thumb.jpg

post-6745-126945810641_thumb.jpg

post-6745-126945810907_thumb.jpg

Still not actually been brave enough to do any weathering on the models I've built so far!

Must have a go at some point.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

Gidday guys, been lurking on this forum for a while but never really posted, as I never had anything to show :(

On this topic, I have just spent the last 2 hours working on the attached Scalescene Gents Lavatory in N Scale - the first time I have embarked on such an adventure. While it hasn't come together brilliantly, I don't think its too bad for a first attempt at such things.

May need to source 'thinner' thick card, as I think the walls ended up being slightly 'too fat', as even the scoping wouldnt entirely cover those walls.

Apolegies for the crappy cellphone pics, but alas, enjoy... ;)

Cheers

Andrew J in New Zealand

post-6141-127347826225.jpeg

post-6141-127347826983.jpeg

Archived