The cut-down half-pint Budd Railcar

shortliner

Dear Max,

Ore cars were typically shorties due to the density of the ore (short car was still a full 100+ tons), 

and once they were considered "too worn out" for ore service, they may well have found themselves hauling anything "scrap like"...

http://members.shaw.ca/kjashton/rail/index.htm

(Scroll about half way down...)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Thanks Prof

A good coat of rust/weathering and my ore car will look the part hauling scrap.

Best wishes

Max

I may be inspired to saw down one of my umpteen ConCor N scale RDCs, once I've figured out how to join up the parts of the solid cast frame that is.

I was thinking that too. I have a couple of old Con-Cor RDCs somewhere. One of them is actually a dummy so that might be the one to modify as it has a plastic frame.

Cheers

David

I was thinking that too. I have a couple of old Con-Cor RDCs somewhere. One of them is actually a dummy so that might be the one to modify as it has a plastic frame.

Cheers

David

GOOD thinking!  :yes:

I wonder why that hadn't occurred to me as I'm sure I have more than one dummy RDC in my fleet. 

• 6 months later...

Finally got hold of an Athearn RDC (the all passenger version). I was aware of the elastic band drive but I still got a shock when I removed the body! The plan is to remove the centre section with the roof fans so it should look quite different from Jack's railcar. Unfortunately, the GP35 chassis that I earmarked for this project is a bit too long and the cast fuel tanks a bit too wide so I need to have a rethink before I take a saw to the body.

If you remove the fan section, won't it look too much like a passenger coach?. Mine is on a SW chassis, not sure abut trying to fit it on a GP35, although I have wondered about fitting a longer version onto a six-wheel bogies chassis

You might be right about it looking too much like an ordinary Budd coach. I'll need to ponder this....

...how about an electric version to run on that interurban layout I've been dreaming about? Just need a pantograph and suitable chassis now.

You could probably do much the same with an old Bachmann Metroliner.

Cheers

David

Archived