Hornby couplings (Close Coupling) NEM pocket

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

So far, the main advantage is the lack of coupling slack and smooth pull, the correct appearance for a passenger train with the screw couplings correctly tightened...

And even more so for the knuckle coupler/Pullman gangway equipped main line stock. With all the gangway faceplates in contact the train not only looks good, but the loco has to move the full weight of the train on starting, no picking up one at a time. This often generates natural brief wheelslip when starting steam models, a very neat effect.

• RMweb Gold

There is a little 'give' in them which aids picking up the load of a whole train and replicates the drawspring effect of real couplers, including buckeyes, though, which gives them an edge IMHO over my previous favourites, the Bill Bedford solid couplings.  The BB's are still the best in appearance, though, and particularly good for auto working where propelling is half the game.  My policy on Cwmdimbath for auto trailers is that they are used as loose loco hauled coaches as well, which seems to have happened quite a bit in the Tondu hinterland if photos of Abergwynfi are anything to go by, so mine have tension locks.

As for 'picking up' loose coupled trains, my Limbach 94xx sometimes has a little trouble getting a loaded coal train on the move, and having to set back against the van and try again is very realistic and great fun!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Johnster said:

There is a little 'give' in them which aids picking up the load of a whole train and replicates the drawspring effect of real couplers, including buckeyes, as well, which gives them an edge IMHO over my previous favourites, the Bill Bedford solid couplings.  The BB's are still the best in appearance, though, and particularly good for auto working where propelling is half the game.  My policy on Cwmdimbath for auto trailers is that they are used as loose loco hauled coaches as well, which seems to have happened quite a bit in the Tondu hinterland if photos of Abergwynfi are anything to go by, so mine have tension locks.

As for 'picking up' loose coupled trains, my Limbach 94xx sometimes has a little trouble getting a loaded coal train on the move, and having to set back against the van and try again is very realistic and great fun!  As far as the CCM's are concerned, two coaches are not going to induce wheelslip in any of my locos unless I do some serious deballasting...