How to adjust bit values within a CV value?

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I want one of my sound equipped US diesels to spool up quicker than the current setting in the decoder allows. It's a tsunami and I think I've narrowed it down to CV116, Engine Exhaust Control, and one of the bits contained therein.

Each of these bits has its own value to control functions within the CV, but I can't for the life of me remember how to adjust specific bit values within a CV....so any pointers on this would be gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

Each bit has a value: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. After determining which bits need to be set, you add the corresponding number and program the total value into the CV. Example, you want bits 2 and 6 to be set, while the others are not set. Bit 2 has a value of 2, bit 6 carries 32. Add 2 and 32, which is 34. Next, program your CV with value 34. Done :)

Of course....thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the bits read from the right, though if you want to work out what is already set from the CV.

What system do you have Phil?  Some allow programming of individual bits.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the bits read from the right, though.

What system do you have Phil? Some allow programming of individual bits.

I have a Powercab. I have to say I do tend to muddle through a bit when programming CVs...I tend to glimpse solutions briefly when the fog of uncertainty lifts momentarily.

• RMweb Gold

Don't have that one but a quick look at the manual says you should be able to do it.

Option 9 from the programming menu lets you bring up a list of the bits for a CV and their settings - 0 or 1 - and you can change them from there.

Might be easier to remain in the mist and calculate the whole thing.

Archived