APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

On 16/01/2021 at 11:04, Mr_Tilt said:

Oh yes we WERE enjoying the ride in the open with the wind in our hair! :rolleyes:

Hastings3.jpg

Hastings 3

Even I had hair back then!  Thanks for the update and additional pictures.  I hadn't appreciated the vehicle above also tilted, presumably that's why narrow profile stock was used.  The oil tail lamp looks rather anachronistic though.

Silly question but why was the skeleton set numbered PC3 & 4 if PC1&2 came later?

I like the look of HSFV1 Paul.  I thought you would have produced POP2 first though - that's presumably relatively easy if you copy the bulkheads and bogies that you've already done - could pretty much stick a few strips of plasticard on the sides .... I have visions of POP1 and 2 passing each other on a double track layout!  

I see the instructions have been scaled down to a mere(!) 21 pages for N gauge - and the OO ones seem to have disappeared (not a problem as I had downloaded them and they were among the files I managed to recover after laptop had a head crash)

Hi Mike,

PoP 2 is a very changed beast, new bogies and the cladded pc3 and 4 are not just the old version with cladding.  Side doors moved and a brand new coach , pilot to design to put in the middle.  Rest assured is already off the drawing board.  Watch this space.  Hsfv1 is a nice model to do, other than pop trains and should be finished before the end of the week.

Pop1 00 gauge instructions should still be on the site, I have not removed them, nor will I as the old models are still available to order.  I will check though.

As for oil lamps, Mr Tilt can go well into that, even APT-E was not allowed out without an oil lamp on the back, even though it had red tail lamps,  which still work.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 1

Oh yes, the reason why we chose a Hastings Line coach for the APT-P bogie tests was EXACTLY because it was 6" narrower than a standard C1 gauge coach. That meant we could tilt it to 6 degrees without hitting anything, as you can see in that pic. The track there, at the north end of the Test Track, was slewed across so that it's western edge was as close to the loading gauge as possible, and we did a number of tilt tests on various vehicles using it just for that purpose. 

Don't get me going on about oil lamps..... :girldevil:

The rule book said that the last vehicle of every train had to have a red lamp, an oil lamp in those days. Even though E-Train had high intensity electric head and tail lamps built into the design and operated religiously by our train crew, the Operating Depts. insisted we had to have an oil lamp as well. So the nose cone on PC1 & 2 had a slot moulded into it that took a short steel bar about 18" long and 6" wide which stuck up above the wonderfully aerodynamic nose so that an oil lamp could be carried! Many of the pics of E-Train show that bracket in position, and I've attached a couple, but often we 'forgot' the lamp itself.

Oddly enough, the prototype HST, the 252 set, which was in passenger service between Paddington and  Bristol at the same time as we were doing the high speed tests on the Western Region, DIDN'T have an oil lamp bracket........ 

One rule for you, one rule for me? :nono:

As for PC3 & PC4, it was decided to build the POP Train as a dynamic test vehicle after the formation of E-Train was defined and construction had started. There was a need to test the various suspension components, as well as the bogies themselves, as early as possible, and we could do that with a loco hauled test train much earlier than we could with E-Train itself, what with all the attendant problems to get the turbines and traction controls working as well. 

Regards

Kit

42.jpg

47.jpg

apt89b-2.jpg

11355127904_418c13f9af_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, I rather thought the sacred ritual of moving Aladdin's lamp to the other end of the train was a time-honoured tradition you would have to obey.  Even the all-electric LT had insisted on paraffin lamps for many years, surprised the HST got away with it, but somebody had to be first.  Perhaps the APT would not have been cancelled if you had designed a streamlined oil lamp !   Afraid the APT seems to have been seen as the railway's version of TSR-2.

I couldn't agree more about APT being a 'Railway TSR2'. Both were cancelled on a political whim when both were just about to show their real greatness.

At least APT-E STILL holds the record as the UK's fastest non-electrified train, and we did that 46 years ago. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Mike, 

Yes, seen them.

The hsfv1 model they do, turns out to be wrong in so many places, I purchased a version so time ago, and,  its rubbish, very expensive, and very very rough. 

I cannot comment on the other models as I have not seen them.

So I decided to do my own.  This is the fourth version I have done and I think its pretty close now.

I may do the others in due course.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e

• RMweb Gold

By chance you have shown large near , small far away with the N POP in the distance. 

The fidelity your print shows how 3D printing has come on the Shapeways is the old WSF - grainy but indicative of what could be made but not suitable for finishing. Your home printer much better but it is also down to the designer  and their skills.  

I can see Shapeways and trading to UK going pan down if customs play the cards as laid so home printing or Shapeways  opening in UK print facility ... or a design shop only.  

Off to find POP pics for formations and locos as one winging its way in N.  Thanks for all the effort and looking forward to the next masterpiece!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce the next LeadleyKits model.

HSFV1 in 00 gauge.  (N GAUGE coming soon).

Kit comes complete with Bachman all metal wheels.

Purchase a complete set of decals from Railtec to finish off the model.

Model is unpainted and in kit form.

Price £25 Inc p & p.   (UK mainland)

Models made to order.

Anyone interested email me at

Leadleykits@gmail.com

Thanks again to Kit (aka Mr Tilt) for all his help with this.

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul.

HSFV1 is seen next to PoP train and behind baby deltic awaiting its next test run.

20210130_141312.jpg

20210130_141408.jpg

20210130_141224.jpg

20210130_141330.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good afternoon all,

Hopefully, I have sent everyone who ordered a HSFV1 kit so far a confirmation email.    Fingers crossed.

The instructions for the build can be found here :-

http:\\www.apt-e.org\leadleykits\00\HSFV1\instructions.docx

Anyone wanting a model and has not already contacted me,  please drop me an email at :-   Leadleykits@gmail.com

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the rest of this lockdown Sunday.

Regards

Paul

Coo, that does look good Paul. :clapping:

I'm not sure a Baby Deltic could haul HSFV1 at anywhere near its design speed though, not without having a heart attack anyway. :rolleyes:

Which lab coach is on the back there? Should be Lab 3 to fit in with the original project.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Mr Tilt,

It's Lab 10 sadly.  I MUST make or get hold of a Lab 3.

I have removed the napier engine from baby deltic and fitted it with a Dart.........

Lol....

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Funny 1

Hi Everyone, 

I have just corrected a little bit in the HSFV1 instructions, so please re-download.

http:\\www.apt-e.org\leadleykits\00\HSFV1\instructions.docx

First batch of models went out yesterday.

I am awaiting a delivery of wheels, which should be here in the next day or two, fingers crossed.

Stay say

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e

A note to all,

All my models are available to order at any time, as each is made on request.

More information can be found about my products & future kits at

http:\\www.apt-e.org\leadleykits\model.html

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul

Edited by apt-e
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/01/2021 at 23:08, Mr_Tilt said:

Oh yes, the reason why we chose a Hastings Line coach for the APT-P bogie tests was EXACTLY because it was 6" narrower than a standard C1 gauge coach. That meant we could tilt it to 6 degrees without hitting anything, as you can see in that pic. The track there, at the north end of the Test Track, was slewed across so that it's western edge was as close to the loading gauge as possible, and we did a number of tilt tests on various vehicles using it just for that purpose. 

Don't get me going on about oil lamps..... :girldevil:

The rule book said that the last vehicle of every train had to have a red lamp, an oil lamp in those days. Even though E-Train had high intensity electric head and tail lamps built into the design and operated religiously by our train crew, the Operating Depts. insisted we had to have an oil lamp as well. So the nose cone on PC1 & 2 had a slot moulded into it that took a short steel bar about 18" long and 6" wide which stuck up above the wonderfully aerodynamic nose so that an oil lamp could be carried! Many of the pics of E-Train show that bracket in position, and I've attached a couple, but often we 'forgot' the lamp itself.

Oddly enough, the prototype HST, the 252 set, which was in passenger service between Paddington and  Bristol at the same time as we were doing the high speed tests on the Western Region, DIDN'T have an oil lamp bracket........ 

One rule for you, one rule for me? :nono:

As for PC3 & PC4, it was decided to build the POP Train as a dynamic test vehicle after the formation of E-Train was defined and construction had started. There was a need to test the various suspension components, as well as the bogies themselves, as early as possible, and we could do that with a loco hauled test train much earlier than we could with E-Train itself, what with all the attendant problems to get the turbines and traction controls working as well. 

Regards

Kit

42.jpg

47.jpg

apt89b-2.jpg

11355127904_418c13f9af_b.jpg

Kit I have been looking at various photos of the Hastings vehicle and seeing what modifications were made to the original buffet. 

Can you advise if the side layout was modified more than once in its RTC history as I have seen photos of the same side with different window and door layouts?

Thanks 

Paul R

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Kit I have been looking at various photos of the Hastings vehicle and seeing what modifications were made to the original buffet. 

I suppose even before health & safety they must have made one major change - closing the bar! :drink_mini:

HSFV1 kit arrived safely the other day, very pleased with it.  I haven't had time to do more than open the box for to have a quick look, but it is immediately obvious that the quality is as excellent as shown in the photos.  Congratulations on an excellent job.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1