O gauge MMP kits

Does anyone have any knowledge of the MMP Britannia O gauge kit please, which apparently was produced quite a few years ago, Has anyone built this kit, or any others from this manufacturer please ?

I know that the Britannia had a resin firebox and also a rolled brass boiler and smokebox.

Did the manufacturer sell out to someone else, or just leave the model railway scene ?

Is there a photograph of a completed MMP model please ?

The MMP Britannia is now with Ragstone Models, Andy Beaton. It is not available as a kit, but the excellent castings from the kit are available as part of his castings range.

I have built the Duchess and 9F from this range. They are not easy kits to build, but the quality of the etchings and quality and number of castings was first rate.

Richard Lambert

As above, the line was sold to Ragstone, but only castings are now available, albeit of excellent quality.

MMP are still about, he does the most detailed coach and wagon kits available.

https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=302

Some builds of the modern stuff on here : http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/gallery2/main.php

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

The MMP Brit kit had a major error in that the boiler was too short by some 10 mm. If you built it as designed then the rear wheels fouled the firebox casting. The solution was to carve out the firebox to allow the wheels to rotate. However It is possible to re insert the missing 10mm in front of the firebox casting and smooth it down to make a neat job. My Brit is still very much a work in progress as the underframe is a real challenge!

I do not think the 9f suffered from this issue but the one I had had different con rod wheel spacings to the frames. As such it was unbuildable and a new set of frames was required,

The castings are top notch though. 

Martin Long

Archived