Issues Uploading from Flickr

• RMweb Premium

I have an issue with uploading a couple of images from Flickr. I highlight the 'share' URL and try to add as an 'Image'. Problem is I just get the little box with the cross as well as a message plastered across the top of the screen telling me I am not allowed to use this extension.

post-6831-0-45766200-1472395397.jpg

The alternative is just to place the link, but that is not what I want to do; I'd rather any contribution I make is not just a list of links.

I can post images - as you can see above - but to do s required resizing, which will not suit all of the pictures I am trying to upload.

There are enough pictures on here uploaded from Flickr, so I know it is possible - I just do not know the process to do so!

Any enlightening thoughts?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Okay, thanks Andy.

Presumably it is as simple as select the Share Photo option on the image, then copying the URL on the 'Share' tab to the URL in the Image properties option on RMWeb. Click ok, and away you go!

Still not playing ball for me, so it could be Flickr permissions, but everything looks to be in order at that end. 

so it could be Flickr permissions, but everything looks to be in order at that end. 

It does seem to be OK to me now I've looked at the link in the screengrab.

29180038162_5c05aa3f38_c.jpg86613 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

Make sure you select the code from the BBcode tab when in the sharing selection.

Test using Flickr's share code:

8407067081_185e255932_h.jpg1033 Western Trooper explodes on Teignmouth sea wall. by Suthen Softy, on Flickr

It also depends on whether the Flickr uploaded permits sharing, if they don't it will only allow you to post a link.

Cor blimey missus.

I wish I had been there for that experience.

• RMweb Gold

Am I correct in assuming that the difference here is that the BBcode includes an actual jpg extension, whereas the OP's URL in the original screengrab does not?

I ask because Google Photos  have taken on the same (rather annoying) idea of image URLs without file extensions (which don't work on here), but unlike Flickr they don't seem to provide a BBcode option or similar.

BBCode from flickr copies the entire code necessary to display the image itself and title link you can put 

[img]

before and

[/img] 

after any url of an image file to do it manually, the default share url on flickr is not the actual address of the image but a short link to the page containing the image, so it will not work between img tags.

• RMweb Gold

BBCode from flickr copies the entire code necessary to display the image itself and title link you can put 

[img]

before and

[/img] 

after any url of an image file to do it manually, the default share url on flickr is not the actual address of the image but a short link to the page containing the image, so it will not work between img tags.

Thanks. I don't want to divert the topic too far from the topic, but just to explain my query: The problem with Google Photos is that the image URLs don't include file extensions that forums such as RMweb will accept. 

For example, this is is the closest I can get to a direct image url for a photo in my Google album: 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tjkPU3mz4pXENUaMGm02a0Ig_Q4CClz3i71a3BtPMVjWMq81vDtKzWOX-LvvEqA7PK_grTSQXUy7ZAGIoBsUHALZvJzsiku_TWaYnKcuGcvln1IoN76DZp03D1E86NSMMjko5wyg7i_RTcWDWE_uBugIFarEMVqDJQNzX7qAMA3UfMI1JVdUHyWfqPlHg1XfVj-SSwD-DaxbHbzU-5_omBGFVV9NGxSrgPifl5bYgy6op7ENZW7xsWTF-JTBf3fywRe6xakyX81uRMyB1xR7VYBIFwNn9wzTG8a7WuQel1g0J89TFLYMM9q5iIP5BLSu-4EJUZ4FsJh2mNGp11OGmx46GWO3zcYEE7EMcZxjT9s0p9nS1CzQvGCbhtZWItc0CX_5oib1h_nHR_uxPKzOHfo-CYO7gq_3z4Dave5HHN-lxNpcx0-7DpVhO2-VQUX3s8VTV921uRFjccBh3mlvtwAMXBvbRAR_mB0tCSOqCRWgMXRNNzCG1m8Wg0SlvAj_4R7TTBxyLAark6N_6tribFQFWdjVpeOQbXhZrzEDou919TXwt6WcrxXIZGzRZ8Jxtc6SEd7tSswiCBfJ213s1jcBJACAHGaaP4DjlAeN3C_gkc1X=w1200-h800-no

However, forums such as RMweb won't accept that as a valid image url. This is understandable enough and I'm not complaining - just wanted to see if I had understood the problem right.

Thanks. I don't want to divert the topic too far from the topic, but just to explain my query: The problem with Google Photos is that the image URLs don't include file extensions that forums such as RMweb will accept. 

For example, this is is the closest I can get to a direct image url for a photo in my Google album: 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tjkPU3mz4pXENUaMGm02a0Ig_Q4CClz3i71a3BtPMVjWMq81vDtKzWOX-LvvEqA7PK_grTSQXUy7ZAGIoBsUHALZvJzsiku_TWaYnKcuGcvln1IoN76DZp03D1E86NSMMjko5wyg7i_RTcWDWE_uBugIFarEMVqDJQNzX7qAMA3UfMI1JVdUHyWfqPlHg1XfVj-SSwD-DaxbHbzU-5_omBGFVV9NGxSrgPifl5bYgy6op7ENZW7xsWTF-JTBf3fywRe6xakyX81uRMyB1xR7VYBIFwNn9wzTG8a7WuQel1g0J89TFLYMM9q5iIP5BLSu-4EJUZ4FsJh2mNGp11OGmx46GWO3zcYEE7EMcZxjT9s0p9nS1CzQvGCbhtZWItc0CX_5oib1h_nHR_uxPKzOHfo-CYO7gq_3z4Dave5HHN-lxNpcx0-7DpVhO2-VQUX3s8VTV921uRFjccBh3mlvtwAMXBvbRAR_mB0tCSOqCRWgMXRNNzCG1m8Wg0SlvAj_4R7TTBxyLAark6N_6tribFQFWdjVpeOQbXhZrzEDou919TXwt6WcrxXIZGzRZ8Jxtc6SEd7tSswiCBfJ213s1jcBJACAHGaaP4DjlAeN3C_gkc1X=w1200-h800-no

However, forums such as RMweb won't accept that as a valid image url. This is understandable enough and I'm not complaining - just wanted to see if I had understood the problem right.

I presume you have copied and pasted that URL from your browser's address bar, it doesn't actually lead anywhere as it is to dynamically generated content for you only, all the gobbledegook is the data that tells the server what to show you based on your details and is only valid for you. If you can right click on the image and use copy image location, then that will usually actually give you the actual static url for the image rather than a page that displays it, as it does exist somewhere out there!

• RMweb Gold

I presume you have copied and pasted that URL from your browser's address bar, it doesn't actually lead anywhere as it is to dynamically generated content for you only, all the gobbledegook is the data that tells the server what to show you based on your details and is only valid for you. If you can right click on the image and use copy image location, then that will usually actually give you the actual static url for the image rather than a page that displays it, as it does exist somewhere out there!

Thanks Alan, but the tricky thing is - that gobbledegook is the URL I get from a right click. It leads me to a plain image-only page (no lightbox or anything) as any normal static url for an image would do. Below is a screen grab showing how the image appears in the RMweb preview using the URL - but isn't allowed. Not to worry though, I'll use the RMweb galleries instead.

post-738-0-42099000-1472514496_thumb.jpg

Archived