Steam Crane

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I have topic searched this, but forgive me if it's already running as a topic.

Any idea on a release date or news about the steam crane as announced this year?

I have topic searched this, but forgive me if it's already running as a topic.

Any idea on a release date or news about the steam crane as announced this year?

Some way off yet I would suggest. The last update from Bachmann stated that this model was at the CAD stage.

• RMweb Premium

It probably won't like Radius 1 curves which won't go down well.

The Hornby offering, with a similar wheel arrangement (s) coped, but then again it wasn't particularly "scale" or accurate to a prototype.

• RMweb Gold

It probably won't like Radius 1 curves which won't go down well.

The Hornby offering, with a similar wheel arrangement (s) coped, but then again it wasn't particularly "scale" or accurate to a prototype.

R1 is tight even by train set standards. I'd be more likely to buy a closer to scale model that is restricted to R3 curves than a compromised model that can cope with R1. Given the likely price bracket for this forthcoming release (around £100?) I think scale tolerances rather than train set compromises are the more sensible approach for Bachmann with this.

The old Dublo model wasn't that far out scale wise. Detail, being cast on, was basic by modern standards. The jib was short and the weight relieving bogies a bit compromised but the main body was otherwise pretty good.

Though it ran on a rigid 4 axles frame it went around train set curves by the simple strategy of having the centre four wheels flangeless and with flat treads.

• RMweb Premium

Mike - fully agree - scale model = equivalent ticket price = worked solution and 3rd radius curves minimum such as the 72XX and 38XX

Flangless wheels - we are going back to Triang and before surely? 

Make it 3rd radius and anyone wanting a "toy" one can opt for the Hornby offering.

Bachmann use R2 for there train sets and this is also the radius of standard set track points from Bachmann, Hornby and Peco. While many of us use scale length points there are still a large number using set track so to maximise sale it makes sense to try to find a solution. Bachmann in no way suggested they would compromise the model just that they were working to see if they make it work on the tighter curves.

Archived