Decoder Pro Problems

TheSnapper

I have Decoder Pro installed on 1 PC (win10), and 2 laptops (1 x WIN7 & 1xWin10)

All  three - yes, all three - have suddenly stopped working, and when Decoder Pro is started, each computer thinks that it's a new installation.

It was working yesterday!:

post-711-0-39175500-1473527877.png

After configuring ports etc, it sticks on the next screen

post-711-0-96789700-1473527896.png

Nothing happens when Finish is pressed and the screen cannot be cancelled, except by End Task in Task Manager.

I've tried re-installing, removing & re-installing, different versions etc, but all unsuccessfully. 

It is the same if the SPROG is connected or not.  New drivers do not make any difference.

Any ideas?

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Why three separate PCs demonstrate this fault is beyond me but when I first installed the version of Decoder Pro that used the Wizard it hung at exactly the point you mention. Now it was a few years ago but I think what I did was when setting up the ports I chose no interface (or something to that effect) and it started. I then edited preferences for my Sprog. Though I have done clean installs on new pcs and the wizard has worked perfectly  For a correctly installed system having the sprog disconnected just generates a dialog box, decoder pro still starts.

I hope someone is along soon to give more help than I can.

Best wishes

Tony

Multiple failures does suggest a common issue somewhere.  But there may just be random chance.    So, assuming common failure, the questions I have are:

• Are the systems arranged to share user data, for example synchronising the user files via DropBox, or similar software ?   If so, it suggest the failure is in the user files somewhere, either preferences, or other (automatically) saved data files.   Those file are, for Windows, in C:\users\[username]\JMRI
  •  
  • Were any updates to different versions undertaken on the systems. 
  • And/Or, was any new software installing on all three machines, 
  • And/Or, do all three machines use the same antivirus package (which might suggest the AV package has done something to black-ball parts of JMRI's user preferences, mentioned above). 

All in all, very weird.    If no clues, I'd suggest starting by re-naming the user preferences folder on one machine to something else, then see if a new setup takes correctly this time. 

Proper support for this sort of thing is on the Yahoo Group, jmriusers.   They'd appreciate a copy of the console log if it is possible to generate it from JMRI before the failures occur.  They'd also want to know which versions of JMRI have been tried.

- Nigel 

Archived