O gauge Willy's jeep

BungyWD

Hi all,

I have built an O Gauge willy's jeep, it is a die cast model with canopy and several trailers.

I have fitted a motor and gear box, pick ups on all wheels, goes great but not one to back down from a challenge

I then fitted a blue flashing light on the top, I have now got some white and red lights (yet to be fitted)

But the question (not sure what catergery to put the inquiry in?) The lights are powered by a 3 volt battery in the first trailer, I would like to fit sound into the secound trailer, I have found a small speaker but have no idea how if it possible to fit sound let alone powered by only 3 volt also fit all the items in to a small trailer ??

I have moved this from dcc sound, (not knowing which section to place it in)

Not being an electronics type person, I need some help

Best regards

Byron

Byron

I recall a Willy's jeep with rail wheels - might have been in the G0Gazette - was it yours? Was a while ago.

It might help if you posted some pictures of your model. You might also want to look at Giles' threads about road vehicles & cranes & stuff. He's done some seriously inspirational models.

I know there was a "universal sound module" which made noises that, on a dark night, if you screwed up your eyes, might have passed for a locomotive, but I guess you want something that sounds like a jeep... As I recall, it was about the size of an O gauge box van, so improbable for your needs on that count too, but it was at least battery powered.

You could use an Arduino, they can be programmed to play sounds & lights, and you can record whatever you want, and battery power is an option.

The other option might be a sound module like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-module-chip-for-greeting-cards-60-seconds-recordable-with-button-/331950477197?hash=item4d49ca4f8d:g:O~AAAOSwGYVW8xHd

HTH

Simon

Hi Simon,

After a hour or so, I have managed to upload a pair of photos although in the wrong order,

The size of project can be seen or the lack of size!

The jeep was first seen at Reading this year on the test track, every one could hear it but it is so small

most people could not see it until it was caught up by my Dean goods.

Regards

Byron

post-24589-0-79287600-1473542041_thumb.jpg

post-24589-0-77914400-1473542106_thumb.jpg

Byron,

Model railway DC modelers don't tend to have much use for a 3v jeep sound unit, so I suspect you might have a bit of a problem.

DCC is the 'usual' route to go down with sound,- with 3v dc I guess it becomes difficult to do a great deal, let alone control it in any way, I don't think there's enough room for equipment to bluetooth the sound from an outside source either.

If you can pick up from the track the Zimo DCC sound decoders give sound on 12v DC input as well, so it may be worth investigating that option, though who will be able to supply a Jeep sound project I don't know.

Peter.

P.S. If you just want a cheap and simple sound for a car type engine running constantly, and you have an appropriate Mp3 sound file, and finally have a space 45 x 29 x12 there is a 'left field' option costing all of 99p - I've been using them for sound in buildings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Surface-Clip-Mp3-Sport-Music-With-TF-Card-Slot-Up-To-8GB-Black-New/262577116018?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D517bb32216834ad1ac7c5d0cf06923a5%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D13%26sd%3D162129000657

They used Jeeps like this in Borneo during WW2 to re-establish use of the railway there, but I think the railway was either meter gauge or 3'6"

In fact, Queensland Railways made use of one on their 3'6" gauge system as a yard shunter for a while!

*Edit*

Removed the pictures - worth checking out this link to the wikipedia article, which shoes Jeep Trains in Borneo and in Queensland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_train

I did once consider doing a similar project using 1:35 scale Jeeps on 32mm gauge track. The track would be about 2-1/4" scale inches too wide to be true scale, but as true scale is 30.5mm, I figured that the compromise would not really be noticeable, especially as it is something of an unusual scale/gauge combination (actually, I think they use 9mm scale in New Zealand on 32mm gauge track to depict 3'6" gauge prototypes, so it should fit in nicely!)

Archived