Converting a Roco Br44 to HO Fine (RP25/88)

Wyvern

.....I would practice on some aluminum discs in place of the actual castings while you get the hang of it. Good luck you can always buy more :)

I could probably practice on that set of Hornby-Jouef 141R wheels.

As for buying more, the Br.41 wheels are still being produced, but the set of Br01.5 drivers that you see in the photo is the very last set to be supplied until Herr Teichmann gets around to producing a new casting mould, as the present mould is now a write-off. There must have been loads of Br01/01.10/02/03/03.10 and Neubau 10 wheels produced over the years from that mould, and I do hope he can have a new one created soon.

Would you put the traction tyres on the tender wheels or do without?

Do without. Can't stand traction tyres and, anyway, on P87 profile and width there'll be no room for the grooves to take them.

I am no fan of traction tyres myself - i would rather do without them.   The tender on the roco locos is quite weighty so it may well still have reasonable pulling power.

I almost bought 2 front bogie wheels to save myself some lathe time from wagenwerk.de until I realised I was about to spend £45 on two wheels!

....I almost bought 2 front bogie wheels to save myself some lathe time from wagenwerk.de until I realised I was about to spend £45 on two wheels!

This goes back to what I wrote that, with Wagenwerk, you can find yourself spending a lot of money really quite quickly. Especially if it's on stuff that is not easily available from other sources. Take Crottendorf, for example: absolutely top-notch detail castings for DR engines, but their online shop doesn't seem to work if you live outside Germany so it's just as well that Wagenwerk can supply them.

It reminds me how lucky we are to have such a well supported finescale movement in the UK.   I wonder how tempting it would be to go for EM or P4 if you had to part with £300 for the wheelsets for a loco?

As it stands I have a couple of collets to finish for the pony and tender wheelsets before I can turn them down.   I have modified a peco code 75 large radius turnout to HO fine standards and it runs through nicely.   However as per gibson OO wheels on peco track the wheels of the 44 bump through the frog until you reduce the flangeways to 1mm.   I will likely use mein gleis on my small layout provided i don't tire of making collets......

It reminds me how lucky we are to have such a well supported finescale movement in the UK.   I wonder how tempting it would be to go for EM or P4 if you had to part with £300 for the wheelsets for a loco?......

Arguably the Continental finescale movement is equally well-supported; it's just a matter of tracking down the sources and getting past the language barrier.

....or maybe they charge more realistic prices on the Continent, which is why British modellers think Continental prices are over the odds?

Archived