RMweb

Can we still get our LS v3.5 reblown?

Lancs_fus

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about your neck of the wood/world, but I recently had a number of Loksound 3.5s reblown by Coastal DCC (Ipswich, UK) with no problems at all.

Hello group,
Did a quick search and a trawl but couldn't find the answer. I have several old 3.5 look sound decoders and wanted to know if the major stores still will reblow these for us or not?
Cheers,
Paul Hamilton
Perth, Western Australia

In general, the Lokprogrammer is still capable of reading and writing sound projects to both V3.5 and V4 decoders.

The essential caveats are that you have to have two versions of the Lokprogrammer software one for each type of decoder and you have to have the sound projects that suit each decoder.

There are still loads of V3.5 decoder sound projects that will load onto V3.5 decoders but it will pay to check and specify when ordering.

Remember also that there is no factory back up now for V3.5 so if it goes pear shaped it can only be replaced with a V4.

It is also worth bearing in mind that, in order to be compatible with later versions of Windows, you will need an updated FTDI chipset cable to connect your Lokprogrammer to your computer. This currently comes as standard so beware second hand Lokprogrammers

In the case of the OP, the decision to invest in a Lokprogrammer will mainly be as to how often you intend to reblow V3.5 decoders against the postage cost/reblow fee.

Thank you to all who responded.

I have a lokprogrammer in my train room somewhere. It was gifted to me and I never used it myself. Probably had it about 6-8 years I am guessing so it is probably the right for for 3.5 version lok sound decoders I am guessing.

I have Mac computers, so would need to set them up to run parallels to be able to use them I guess with the programmer. Never done that sort of thing before. Must get into it...

Thanks Lego man biffo too for your kind offer.

Will look into uk firms for reblown sounds as I am modelling British outline steam.

Regards,

Paul Hamilton,

Perth, Western Australia

I have a lokprogrammer in my train room somewhere. It was gifted to me and I never used it myself. Probably had it about 6-8 years I am guessing so it is probably the right for for 3.5 version lok sound decoders I am guessing.

I have Mac computers, so would need to set them up to run parallels to be able to use them I guess with the programmer. Never done that sort of thing before. Must get into it...

Will look into uk firms for reblown sounds as I am modelling British outline steam.

Regards,

Paul Hamilton,

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Paul,

Sent you a pm.

Wiggy.

Regards,

Paul Hamilton,

Perth, Western Australia

Regards,

Paul Hamilton,

Perth, Western Australia

Over the last few years I have had approximately 40 odd 3.5's reblown for LMS steam, the only two dealers I found for this service were Olivia's and Howes. If you find any others please let me know.

Over the last few years I have had approximately 40 odd 3.5's reblown for LMS steam, the only two dealers I found for this service were Olivia's and Howes. If you find any others please let me know.

Legomanbiffo (also through DC Kits) has some projects that are suitable for v3.5 decoders. You can email them to request a list of those projects they have.

Edited by SRman

Thanks for the input on this topic. Can I muddy it a bit and ask about the differences between a select and a V4 then for new purchases?

Select Decoders are the cheaper North American Decoders ESU make for this competitive market and cannot be reblown with any European V4 Project. Bachmann have started stupidly to start using these as a way of competing with Hornby's TTS sounds, sadly as people get to know this sales should drop off as on average you are paying a difference of £80.00 to £90.00 for what is a £50.00 decoder that has Bachmann Sounds which you cannot reblow. Now the V4 European decoder is approx.£100.00 to £110.00 and they can be reblown to any sound you fancy. This makes the 'Select' decoders not as good value as first thought.  The sound quality is similar BUT you have Bachmann sound and cheap speakers.

Charlie

So a budget decoder like the Digitrax sound bug that you can at least change the sounds would be better than the LS select then? Or is that a sweeping generalisation!

The sound bug is OK, but dos,nt compare with LokSound V4.  I assume you want to go cheap, so go Sound Bug.  'You get what you get'  Cheap.

I think I'm right in saying the Loksound Select is every bit as capable as a standard Loksound v4 but cannot be reblown. The use of them by manufacturers is understandable as it makes the associated model slightly cheaper, but leaves the customer with sounds and features that can never be updated and a chip they can't do much with if modelling interests change etc. People like the idea of being able to update the sounds they know and love when new features are added. They might also take a chip out when selling a loco and have it reblown to put in their next one, and so on, it just gives them that flexibilty.

• 5 weeks later...

It's interesting really as I have never heard the real thing and never plan to nor will anyone who sees and hears my trains either so what does it really matter to me? I like the idea of the right sound though but frankly I wouldn't know it if it was played to me or not! The quality of the sound I can understand though so I would like a quality sounding locomotive whether the sound is necessarily correct or not is secondary. Thanks for the inputs everyone.

• 11 months later...

Try Legomanbiffo through Charlie at DCkits, think he has a 3.5 version of the 153.

Cheers

Mark

Yes we can, Class 153 is available on a V3.5 Decoder from Legomanbiffo.  www.dckits-devideos.co.uk  Order a Reblow and send us the decoder to Leeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we can, Class 153 is available on a V3.5 Decoder from Legomanbiffo.  www.dckits-devideos.co.uk  Order a Reblow and send us the decoder to Leeds.

Hi Charlie,

Do you have a CL20 file for a V3.5 as the one I have was fitted sometime ago and really isn't inspiring.

Cheers, Bill.

No thanks I am not looking to go cheap I am simply curious as to what the differences are. Thanks for the input regarding reblowing my existing LS v3.5 decoders though. I am cheap enough to look to reblow the ones I have rather than throw them out .

You don't have to throw them out .

You can put them on Ebay or such like .

Amazingly, these second hand decoders are still selling for £80/£85 plus postage on the bay. 

£20 quid more will buy you a V4 which is a world away in terms of capability compared to the V3.5 

You can buy a Zimo decoder for a bit less