8E36 Oakamoor to Worksop sand trains

penyghent

Just looking into sand trains that ran to Worksop in the 1980s and 1990s for a possible article and wondered if anyone could tell me the route that 8E36 Oakamoor to Worksop took? I have seen photos of these trains leaving Oakamoor, and I know that they passed Chesterfield as they are mentioned in the excellent Chesterfield Observer website, but what was the other parts of the route?

Also, the return working was 8M33  MThO Worksop - Longport  but what was its routing?

Any help appreciated and thanks in anticipation

They passed through Uttoxeter; someone on here had a few shots of some 'crippled' ones in the yard there. Given the 35 mph speed restriction they had, I can imagine them working via Stenson Jct, Sheet Stores Jct, and the Erewash Valley line to keep out of the way of faster trains. Knowing how they dribbled sand, you can still probably follow the route they took all those years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Chesterfield to Worksop has 2 main possibilities;

Chesterfield to Sheffield to avoid reversing, but that would involve climbing Nunnery Curve, and the Ditton to Broughton Lane needed a class 40/25 combination to do that.

Chesterfield to Woodhouse sidings and run round and set off Eastwards, but that would probably require 2 brake vans.

Other less likely routes include Barow Hill to Elmton and Creswell and run round.

No doubt someone will have the WTT and put us out of our misery.

Mike.

Chesterfield to Worksop has 2 main possibilities;

Chesterfield to Sheffield to avoid reversing, but that would involve climbing Nunnery Curve, and the Ditton to Broughton Lane needed a class 40/25 combination to do that.

Chesterfield to Woodhouse sidings and run round and set off Eastwards, but that would probably require 2 brake vans.

Other less likely routes include Barow Hill to Elmton and Creswell and run round.

No doubt someone will have the WTT and put us out of our misery.

Mike.

Mike, I have seen a pic of one passing Shirebrook and I remember the trains coming off the Mansfield line at Shireoaks East Junction when I worked at Worksop Sidings. I doubt that they would have come over from Barrow Hill to Creswell because of run round problems, but as they were fully fitted, they could easily have come from Chesterfield to woodhouse and run round, but then the one I saw a pic of must have come from Toton direction? A WTT would be most handy!

They passed through Uttoxeter; someone on here had a few shots of some 'crippled' ones in the yard there. Given the 35 mph speed restriction they had, I can imagine them working via Stenson Jct, Sheet Stores Jct, and the Erewash Valley line to keep out of the way of faster trains. Knowing how they dribbled sand, you can still probably follow the route they took all those years ago.

Thats a possibility for routing But doesnt explain passing Chesterfield? As for dribbling sand, when they came to Worksop from Middleton Towers they did leave their mark along the way which could be seen for years!

I expect you have searched Flickr already?

The loaded and empty trains called at Toton to change crew and locos according to this caption

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walnut_rede/6949758932/in/photolist-bA8kcS-k8T2wz-65M1V4-65yJ8c-68cSow-65TnL6

Here is 8M33 empties passing Creswell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16418497@N03/6648731503/in/photolist-k8T2wz-bA8kcS-b8wALP-b8wueM-65M1V4-65yJ8c/

cheers

I expect you have searched Flickr already?

The loaded and empty trains called at Toton to change crew and locos according to this caption

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walnut_rede/6949758932/in/photolist-bA8kcS-k8T2wz-65M1V4-65yJ8c-68cSow-65TnL6

Here is 8M33 empties passing Creswell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16418497@N03/6648731503/in/photolist-k8T2wz-bA8kcS-b8wALP-b8wueM-65M1V4-65yJ8c/

cheers

Not yet searched Flickr but I have been told today that the trains were worked from Toton to Shirebrook by Shirebrook men, then Worksop men took over to take them to Worksop, returning the empties to Shirebrook for their men to take to Toton. My informant does not however know why they would be seen at Chesterfield in June 1983, nor which route they took on those days?

Not yet searched Flickr but I have been told today that the trains were worked from Toton to Shirebrook by Shirebrook men, then Worksop men took over to take them to Worksop, returning the empties to Shirebrook for their men to take to Toton. My informant does not however know why they would be seen at Chesterfield in June 1983, nor which route they took on those days?

Bit of guesswork if I may?

Chesterfield then Old Road via Beighton to Tinsley yard, or perhaps Woodhouse area sidings? Run round, then off to Worksop? When was the work done to alter the track layout in the Kirkby in Ashfield area? Perhaps diverted due to that? More questions I know but maybe others can offer answers to these which fit.

• RMweb Gold

Bit of guesswork if I may?

Chesterfield then Old Road via Beighton to Tinsley yard, or perhaps Woodhouse area sidings? Run round, then off to Worksop? When was the work done to alter the track layout in the Kirkby in Ashfield area? Perhaps diverted due to that? More questions I know but maybe others can offer answers to these which fit.

Old road into Tinsley via Treeton South Junction, but no run round as they would continue onwards out via Shepcote Lane and up to Woodbourn and turn left to Worksop via Darnall and Woodhouse maybe a possibility, but seems a bit lomg winded, and wouldn't get them to Shirebrook.

The thick plottens!

Mike.

Archived