Transformer problem

Jinty3f

For several years I have used a Gaugemaster T1, fitted with a 1A  GM41 thermal cutout, to power my CDU and diode matrix, which throws 3 points at any given use. Only one of the two 16V outlets is in use. There has never been any problem until 2 days ago, when I was aware of a ticking noise, which I eventually tracked down to being the thermal cutout going off and on every second or two. Now, the day was extremely hot and the shed was, as a result, pretty hot too, and so I thought it might just be the ambient temperature causing the cutout to kick in despite the the transformer being well and safely. ventilated,  however, today the shed temperature is decidely chilly, and yet the ticking continues.  Is  it likely that the cutout has become faulty, or is the transformer about to die? I imagine the transformers are pretty reliable - anyone had trouble with the cutout?  Thank you for reading.

JD

I believe   that  Gaugemaster  units  have  a  very  long  guarantee  period, its  worth  checking  out  their  website.

I think you wiil find  that  their  analogue  cased  units  have  a  lifetime  guarantee.

I  have  returned  faulty  items  to  them  and they  have  repaired/replaced  without  any  problems

Just  as   a matter  of  interest  you mentioned  a  shed,  Have  you  had  any  thunderstorm  activity in the   period  your  unit  went  faulty?

Reason  for  asking  is  that  these  storms  can  adversley affect  digital  equipment  ( I had  a  Digital  central  station damaged  when  we  had  a  nearby  thunderstorm when it  had  been  left in  the  garage  and  it  was  connected  to  the  garden  railway  track)  I  don't  think  that  Analogue   equipment is as  vulnerable  but  you  never  know!

Have you powered the transformer on its own without a connection to your CDU? From what you describe I suspect a problem with the CDU / diode matrix pulling too much current and causing the thermal cutout to operate. This cuts the current to the CDU, cutout cools down, resets, CDU takes too much current, cutout operates again add infinitum. If the thermal cutout operates without the CDU attached then, yes suspect the transformer but I think it highly unlikely.

Archived