Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7M49 train in 1964

penyghent

Can anyone help me with a query about a train headcode from around 1964?  I have a photo of a Class 37 hauling 7M49 along the Beighton Branch of the LDECR around 1964. That's all the info I have on it but I would like if possible to know what the train was? I expect it would have originated at either Whitemoor, or Mansfield Concentration Sidings, and would be heading via Langwith Junction and Beighton Junction to Sheffield, and maybe over the Woodhead Route? It is pre Tinsley so I don't think it could have gone there

Anyone have a WTT for the Sheffield area for 1964 ear?

Any help appreciated

This is going to sound vague, but the answer may not or may not be given in the WTT.  The breakdown of the headcode is as follows:

1st character denotes train class code - 7 being express freight, livestock or ballast train w/o continuous brake;

2nd character indicates destination, 'M' being reserved for inter-regional trains to London Midland Region;

3rd and 4th characters give the route code.  

Here it gets complicated as the same numbers were used for different routes by different regions - and the same code indicated "forward" and "reverse" directions (mostly, but not universally).  

Now, to add insult to injury, the GN section of Eastern Region (which included the Sheffield area) was the last to adopt 4-character panel headcodes, and used a mixture of route numbers (50 and above) and individual train reporting numbers (below 50).  As such, these numbers - as opposed to route codes - may be shown in the WTT.  (In my defence, the GE section used route codes throughout, which are generally not found in the WTTs).

Couldn't find it in the winter 1962/63 Sheffield Area book.

There was the 6M49 1.0pm Whitemoor - Mottram (though this ran via Clowne South and Killamarsh Jn). Also the 8M49 10.35pm SO Tees - Annesley (via Killamarsh Jn and Clowne South)

That will be the one, the photo is a Class 37 with headcode boxes which did run via Clowne South and Killamarsh, the shadows on the photo would indicate an afternoon shot so you may have hit the nail on the head there! Thank you

• RMweb Gold

That will be the one, the photo is a Class 37 with headcode boxes which did run via Clowne South and Killamarsh, the shadows on the photo would indicate an afternoon shot so you may have hit the nail on the head there! Thank you

Do you mean Clowne South, Spinkhill, Spinkhill tunnel and Upperthorpe and Killamarsh, then down to Beighton Junction?, the singularly named Killamarsh stations were on the ex MR and GC lines.

Mike.

Do you mean Clowne South, Spinkhill, Spinkhill tunnel and Upperthorpe and Killamarsh, then down to Beighton Junction?, the singularly named Killamarsh stations were on the ex MR and GC lines.

Mike.

That's right Mike, the photo I am captioning is of the train passing Langwith Colliery Junction, heading towards Creswell & Welbeck, it will then pass Clowne south and Spinkhill etc before gaining MR metals at Beighton Jn, then turning left towards Woodhouse Junction!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to mess it all up, when I was a goods guard at Canton in the early 70s, we had a 7M49, the 03.15 Cardiff Long Dyke to Carlisle. which was one of my regular link workings as far as Hereford for relief.

Unless my memory has let me down.  Of course, the reporting number may have been re-allocated, but most of them were well established ones that had been in use on the same trains for years.  Hope this helps, but I realise it probably only muddies the waters...

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold