2mm Shop 2

Yorkshire Square

Hi Tony

Just a small question

What is the back to back measurement of the 2-027 and 2-028 Wheelsets please?

As an aside , because of the shortage of the conversion axles, I have been cobbling up my own version by soldering short lengths of 1mm ID x1.5mm OD brass tube onto standard 12.25mm axles and fitting Farish RP25 wheels, They are a little tight to the w irons and brakes when set to N gauge btb but seem to work ok

Chris Hodge

Hi Tony

Thanks for the info on the btb measurements.

Different manufacturers = different back to backs ranging from 7.25 to 7.7mm

I set mine a little narrower at 7.35 mm this allows for the rim on the face of the tyres on the Farish wheels to clear the w irons and just gives enough space for the points to engage in the bearings

Chris

• 4 months later...

Despite the plethora of RTR wagons out there, it's good to see members scratchbuilding and kitbuilding wagons.

Following a long absence, the LMS Box Van (Twin Pack) kit is available again. I'm just awaiting a new price from the Sales Officer:

20iyotf.jpg

This will build up into one vertical planked and one horizontal planked body with a choice of three different ends.

Additionally, following a much shorter absence, 8 spoke wheels on 15.2mm axles are back in stock:

2s0jl95.jpg

Finally, please note that 2-460, the 5' wagon spring casting is now totally sold out and will not be replaced. If your chassis etch doesn't have axleboxes and springs in the etch, a number of standalone etches of the same are available. Thanks!

Despite the plethora of RTR wagons out there, it's good to see members scratchbuilding and kitbuilding wagons.

Following a long absence, the LMS Box Van (Twin Pack) kit is available again. I'm just awaiting a new price from the Sales Officer:

20iyotf.jpg

This will build up into one vertical planked and one horizontal planked body with a choice of three different ends.

Additionally, following a much shorter absence, 8 spoke wheels on 15.2mm axles are back in stock:

2s0jl95.jpg

Finally, please note that 2-460, the 5' wagon spring casting is now totally sold out and will not be replaced. If your chassis etch doesn't have axleboxes and springs in the etch, a number of standalone etches of the same are available. Thanks!

Re the LMS vans, are these the ones described as from the N Scale Society?  If so, would they come out over wide and high compared to the 2mm Association kits ie look out of place in the same train?

Thanks

John

Re the LMS vans, are these the ones described as from the N Scale Society?  If so, would they come out over wide and high compared to the 2mm Association kits ie look out of place in the same train?

Thanks

John

If they are 1:148, they'll only look odd if you also have 1:152 models of the same van close by. It's noticeable with things like 16T mineral wagons, the 2mm kits are smaller than the Farish RTR ones. but vans vary in size quite a bit. Depending on what era you model this could be the big new van or the small old van, or somewhere in between. The difference in scales is more notable with coaches, since consistent roof heights are much more common in passenger trains than in goods trains.

Thanks

John

They are the N Gauge Society product. Good to see them back as you can make a variety of vans from them.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

These LMS vans are the NGS ones and thus whilst the right length for 1:148 are overwidth to fit a Peco wagon chassis. With the Masterclass replacement chassis they look much improved, but will fit in better with more recent Bachmann offerings or proper 1:152 vans if reduced in width. There will be a discernible difference in length if a 2mm van is placed next to one of these, but it's up to you whether or not that matters. They are the only current option for the major LMS van production either side of the early 1930s vans represented by the Association kit.

Simon

Edited by 65179

They are the N Gauge Society product. Good to see them back as you can make a variety of vans from them.

Chris

BTW, the website parts list for these vans is out of date. It lists the 'Peco' RCH 9' etched replacement chassisas only available from me, whereas in fact it is shop item 2-383.

Chris