The lure of 7mm diesel

jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've lurked many in layout topics for a few years but recently I've found myself wanting to dip my toe into the 7mm world. I initially thought a small shunting layout with perhaps a Dapol 08 - but looking around areas such as this has wetted my appetite for building my own. 

I've had a look at whats on offer around various sites but one thing that strikes (and worries me) is that unless you know the subject very well you will have trouble building and producing something worthwhile.

A little context:

I'm not a real expert, so I could put up with some inaccuracy.

I particularly like smaller diesel stuff from the green/early blue era (I'd love to do a Hymek).

I have decent skills and a lot of patience.

I do intend to join the GOG and go to my local(ish) show in Bristol early next year.

The cost seems significant (for example JLTRT kits + wheels + motor), but not unreasonable if I pick well and save sensibly. The one worry I have is spending that amount and not getting a decent return on my investment because of my lack of 'real' loco knowledge. I'd rather spend £500 on something I could take my time building than something RTR (no offence intended).

I know there is no quick substitute for decent research but I'd welcome any advice on the best early steps to take. I know you all had to take them once!

Cheers,

James

Welcome to O!

As a beginner, perhaps the best way to get what you want is if you have a particular region and era in mind, find a photo of a loco that you want which meets that criteria and send it to a kit manufacturer and ask if their kit makes that particular loco, and if not what you'll also need to build it.

I believe that JLTRT can offer exactly this service if you are already looking in their direction.

James,

A couple of random thoughts,

it might be an idea to decide what sort of layout you would want to build, (if indeed you want to build one), based on room available, interests, etc. If you have access to a Club with a large layout you can give pretty much anything a good run, but having a small shunting plank, or tight radii, might restrict the use of a 'large' loco.

There's nothing wrong with having your cake and eating it, a small cheap 08 is useful to have something to play with when lack of mojo delays a kit build, and it takes the pressure of wanting to finish it in a hurry to get something to run. So you might end up with a better kit build as a result.

JLRT loco's certainly seem to be a good way of getting a very acceptable result without the aggro often found with some brass kits, if you do go down the brass route make sure you check out people's opinions of the kits, as some of them can be a bit of a trial, and that doesn't make the build particularly satisfying.

Bristol Show is something I only came to a couple of years ago but is well worth the visit, not only to see what's on offer and get inspiration, but also to pick up the bargains, similarly the G O Guild is a good place to pick up reasonably priced second hand, I find the Sales and Wants section of the website very good, and there's an e-mailed list of stuff for sale that usually comes out just before the publication date of the Gazette. The GOG second hand stall is also a good place for 'projects'

Good luck with the journey, keep us all informed of progress and most of all enjoy it, it's only a hobby.

Peter

P.S. as an aside don't discount the old Big Big Hymek with a conversion kit, as a detailing exercise, it's cheap and it still scrubs up quite well until you get the funds for a 'proper' loco.

post-18627-0-02738000-1475069861_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Good advice, thanks.

I plan to join the COG in November as I am a cheapskate and I believe the membership will then last till February 2018.

I will use their resource and look into some books on hymeks too.

I have a decent amount of space, and I have always preferred smaller simpler oo plans, so any future layout will be a freight only small yard or simple terminus. I do realise even modest plans will require a decent area, but to be honest I'm more determined on the loco - the setting will have to change to match it!!

Oh yes, I need to save some more cash, and work on an argument/justification for swmbo!

Until then I'll enjoy reading up on others builds on here.

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

I must agree with Peter, the Bristol show in January is well worth the visit. JLTRT had a stand there for the first time last year, so if they are there again in January have a chat with Laurie or even Pete they will give you some good advice.

Martyn.

Hi James,

The beauty of the JLTRT diesels is that the basic kit has a relatively small number of accurate and well detailed parts which go together quite easily. The company also has a policy of replacing any part you break or damage during construction which is quite reassuring if this is your first kit!

All of the kits have plenty of detail which can be added as your confidence builds and they will supply a kit specific to your needs. Just ask for a specific loco number and period and they will make you a kit to suit.

One word of warning though. The Hymek has etched bogies, being their first kit, so need soldering skills, however all the later ones have resin bogies assembled with glue. The class 17, 20 or 22 are quite straightforward and would suit a first effort.

Give Laurie a phone and he will guide you.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks for that, they sound like a good company to deal with.

It also sounds like the instructions are better then I feared. I think perhaps you can get too worried when you look at the skills and "off piste" alterations on show here. I just want something to start on that will go together without too much fuss, and go from there.

I was only looking at a thread in this area (Mr Grumpy I think) and he had done a hymek and a 22. I think the 22 is also a great looking loco.

Some good food for thought, hopefully jltrt will be at Bristol as someone suggested.

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

If resin is your preferred choice, JLTRT produce an 08. It looks very nice and probably builds quite quickly.

If going for a diesel, take your time and care with the fit of the cabs to the body:-)

The Hymek builds in to an outstanding model, but as mentioned earlier, the chassis is etched nickle silver and the frames white metal castings. This does make them nice and heavy though, which is a good thing!

Have fun, ask lots of questions and someone will help!

James

Welcome to 0 scale. It is a wonderful scale which enables you to make unique models that are something special. You will not regret joining the GOG as it is a source of inspiration and there are some wonderful folk out there who are happy to help a new chap. If you like Hymeks then the advice regarding the old Novo one is good. They are cheap and readily adapted. You will find 0 scale to be very satisfying.

Regards

Martin Long

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks again for the responses, and the confirmation of the show presence of jltrt. The saving starts here!

I've even broached the general concept of o gauge with swmbo and I seem to have trained her too well. When I said a loco would be a few hundred quid, she replied "so that means 500 then!"

I'll attempt to use the saving time well and better research the potential purchase. I don't anticipate giving up on, or selling all, of my OO stuff - but let's see.

Looking forward to the show in bristol and I will look, ask and listen to o gauge exhibitors at other local shows too.

All the best,

James

• RMweb Gold

P.S. as an aside don't discount the old Big Big Hymek with a conversion kit, as a detailing exercise, it's cheap and it still scrubs up quite well until you get the funds for a 'proper' loco.

Keeping a watchful eye on a big big hymek on Ebay.

you know......just in case :-)

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

I hope I won't be bidding against anyone here, but what is sensible ceiling for my bidding on the big big hymek before I give up and wait for the next one?

I know it will be £200 for the double powered bogie and conversion kit.

Regards,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well I'm on my way in 7mm thanks to Martin.

His redundant big big hymek stock is on its way - many many thanks again Martin.

I plan to keep my feet on the ground and investigate the conversion, and the real hymeks, before I take the plunge and order the conversion kit.

Unfortunately the family cat, who has been fit and healthy for the first 16 years of her life, decided to have to have a funny five minutes this week and needed a day at the vets. A few ultrasounds, x-rays, drains and drugs later and I could have bought an O gauge loco!! But I've got to admit I thought she was a gonner, so I was more than happy to stump up and take her home.

The next step is to join the COG in november and plunder any archive material they have on the subject, then xmas money, then the Bristol show.

Thanks for all the advice and I'm sure you'll hear more from me in the not so distant future.

Regards,

James

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have joined the GOG and received my welcome pack - lots of inspiration in there. I've only had a tentative look around the archives and website for now, but it looks like a mine of useful info.

I have received two Big Big hymeks from Martin and they are safely stored waiting the update kit.

I just need generous old santa to bring me some more funds, couple that with some layout selling, and the Bristol show should be an enjoyable experience.

Regards,

James

Archived