Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling n gauge in the winter scene

I'm sure that modelling in N gauge / 2mm scale and other scales to produce a winter scene with snow etc. has been done before, but with such a layout in mind, I wondered if there are any useful tips for producing such a scene - on the Settle to Carlisle railway ?

Presumably, the track is laid "as normal" and ballasted, but then given a coating of a Polyfilla type material with possibly just the rail tops generally showing in the majority of situations. Probably less snow or none at all near signal boxes, tunnels mouths, bridges, buildings, signals, distance / gradient posts etc.

Would that squirty expanded polystyrene foam be suitable for the snow generally and drifts, snow-plough heaps and similar areas of snow, then generally painted with white matt emulsion ?

The locos and at least the coaches would have come from X where there wasn't any snow, but not necessarily all of the goods stock !

Any brilliant ideas please for Ais Gill summit ? 

Thanks.

G'day Gents

I like winter layouts, you can run amok, with white paint etc, On Mill Hill, I used plaster for the snow, after it was set, it was rubbed down until it was smooth, fields and roofs need to be smooth, I did as you said , ballasted the  track first, thenhttp://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73625-mill-hill-the-hale-in-winter/ I slapped a bit of plaster between the track, smoothing it out with my finger, then wiping the excess off with a damp rag, I kept everything clear of the points, it looks like the points have been salted. When everything is to your liking, I cover everything in ceiling white paint Good luck.  

manna

Archived