An Industrial ex L&Y Pug

As a kid I must have hacked up and modified loads of the little airfix kit pugs into various other abominations, but now with this little model I plan on doing something quite neat for my dam building contractors layout. 

The basis is the Dapol model, and I've already stripped it into bits and chopped holes in it! The plan is to pop a Mashima 1015 in the original motor position, with a 3D printed pseudo firebox to house it. This is on order from Shapeways at present. To complete the running gear update, a DCC chip will be added.

The Mashima is already much neater in the cab before the pseudo firebox is installed. 

post-21854-0-37432000-1475600740_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-70138300-1475600743_thumb.jpg

OK so on to business! The pickup feed wires will be replaced and a 6 Pin DCC plug will be wired into the chassis. Here's the original chassis block before I started work:

post-21854-0-02367500-1475600416_thumb.jpg 

And after a little minor surgery, the sandbox is opened up and holes are drilled and filed to pass new wires through. The new pickup feed will run up through the sandbox into the right hand bunker where the chip socket sill be located. The motor feed wires will be passed up through the new holes at the back corner of the motor and up through the pseudo firebox to the motor terminals. The cab will then be free of wires!

post-21854-0-48582700-1475600420_thumb.jpg

The worm was a pig to get off the original motor, my initial efforts to pull it off pulled the shaft clean out of the motor armature and launched it across the room never to be seen again - until 10 minutes after a replacement motor arrived from AC Models, at which point the shaft and worm re appeared, and were duly separated. The worm was fitted to the mashima after first heating it in the flame of a lighter before pressing the Mashima into it gently .

I also took the opprotunity today to start the new Industrial livery. I should have rubbed the old lettering down some more as it still shows through the red. Never mind, it's getting nameplates anyway - in Contractor fashion a place name from where it worked, in this case 'Lancashire'. 

Whilst the chassis was apart I blackened the wheels. I also turned some Romford axles down to fit just in case the massive flanges don't play well with my code 60 track. The blackened wheelsets and motion look a lot better than they did all polished and shiny! 

post-21854-0-29262900-1475600423_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I did something similar to this a few years ago. While it ran ok I thought it was a bit too noisy, maybe a gear meshing problem. It will be interesting to see how you get on. And I also managed to wreck the original motor getting the worm off.

Well the new mount is here and whilst it works and the wheels go round, it's going to require a mk2 version to refine things. The main issue is that the whole thing is too flexible, when screwed down the motor ends up and an angle and ends up in very tight mesh causing some jerky running as the worm is not particularly well machined. It will run at very low speed on my train set controller though. (No DCC yet). I may attempt an etched mount as I think it will be able to be made more rigid with less material. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived