Digitrain sound from 4mm locos to small 7mm locos...?

coachmann

When changing from 4mm to 7mm scale, I wondered if anyone has experience of transferring their Digitrain and YouChoos Zimo 645 sound decoders from their 4mm locos to small 7mm locos? I have been told it might  blow them. The 0 gauge locos I am likely to buy are RTR 64XX and 57XX Panniers and the 51XX Large Prairie, while trains wiil be no more than three coaches or a handful of wagons.

The small decoder manual for the Zimo 645 states - typical applications, HO, O and similar gauges

So one would think is should be ok.

The spec is:

Max continuous current 1.2 amp

Max peak current 2.5 amp ( 20 secs)

It also has overload and thermal cutout protection so you shouldn't blow it unless you do something silly like shorting the outputs (motor, speaker or function).

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

An MX645 decoder in a 7mm loco ( providing yuour 7mm locos have modern motors)..... absolutely no problems ........................................

( Youchoos sound)

More Youchoose products in a RTR loco

regards

John

Ps..... I use Mashima 1833 ( soon never to be seen again) big Sagami, and Maxon motors in my Oguage fleet and even under stall demand less than I amp. working hard less than half an amp.......

When changing from 4mm to 7mm scale, I wondered if anyone has experience of transferring their Digitrain and YouChoos Zimo 645 sound decoders from their 4mm locos to small 7mm locos? I have been told it might  blow them. The 0 gauge locos I am likely to buy are RTR 64XX and 57XX Panniers and the 51XX Large Prairie, while trains wiil be no more than three coaches or a handful of wagons.

The problem with using oo gauge decoders in 0 gauge locos is two fold. 0 gauge loco motors are reputed to need more power so the decoder needs to be beefier to cope with that. The second problem is one of scale. 0 gauge is bigger but at the same distance so to be realistic, the sound needs to be louder and with more bass. Both easily acheived by using a bigger speaker which again might need more power than the decoder can deliver.

Nevertheless, since the gearing on 0 gauge is taller than 00 and the room for a better sized but not so greater wattage speaker is more than 00 I am sure that with proper reasearch in terms of power handling and limits, a perfectly acceptable compromise can be reached.

I have no idea whether the two suppliers mentioned are able to set your mind at rest in this matter.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Coachman

I quite like the GWR sounds that Youchoos produce with a possible exception of their GWR AEC railcar.  They are the only producers that provide sound examples ( although not all ) for the customer to test before purchase.

For LMS sounds I prefer Digitrains and am in the process of `sounding up` a couple of Johnson engines.

Interestingly, if you do go on to the Youchoos website, try listening to their GER Y14 class I have been tempted to use that for a Johnson 1F 0-6-0. Nobody would be the wiser......

Regards

John 

I agree with many of the above comments. I have several 7mm locos which run on my exhibition layout (Dock Green - see link below) which have ESU or Zimo chips in them all rated at around 1A - they all work fine with Mashima, Canon or Maxon motors. The larger Heljan diesels and my (very heavy) V2 have larger, higher current rated decoders which certainly do produce more sound volume - excellent for shows but too loud, possibly, for home use. I have only ever lost one decoder and that was as the result of my own stupidity - not of an overload due to excess current draw.

You will have no problems putting your existing decoders into the modern, RTR locos you mentioned. These will certainly have efficient motors which draw significantly less than 1A.

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...

Larry, I may have said this before, but the Zimo 645 seems to be well suited to 7mm locos.  I have them fitted in my Connoisseur Jinty and 4F and have experienced no problems.

My conversations with SW Digital also confirm that the Loksound 4 works just fine with efficient 7mm motors such as I am using in my current build 14XX.  I have yet to test this but I see no reason why it should not.  My David Andrews LMS Compound will eventually have the Loksound 4 decoder from my 4mm Bachmann Compound.  The sound on this is generic by Olivia's Trains so I am not expecting perfection!

The comment about bass reflex speakers makes sense as there is usually the space for a bigger enclosure in a 7mm loco.  You have seen my 4F video (I believe) which only has a 4mm scale speaker in the tender.  It could do with an upgrade.

Paul

I can't wait to hear the 0 gauge Pannier. The chip is Digitrains 2-cylinder GWR locos which has a spitting vacuum pump sound. It was in the 4mm Grange prior to its removal and has two keep-alive's. I have another removed from one of the 4mm Halls and this will go in an 0 gauge 64XX one day.

Archived