Biff's Drivelock!

Dunmar

Dave,

Yes, drivelock will move to F8, and no, the manual brake will not be ready in time for Warley. As I said previously the manual brake is a far-reaching change and needs to be implemented and tested as such.

Quite a few projects had been updated with drivelock on F15 before the decision was taken to move it to F8. It's straightforward to remap it yourself with two or three CV changes but if you lmk which sounds you want at Warley I'll try and get them done in time for you.

Bif

Dave,

Yes, drivelock will move to F8, and no, the manual brake will not be ready in time for Warley. As I said previously the manual brake is a far-reaching change and needs to be implemented and tested as such.

Quite a few projects had been updated with drivelock on F15 before the decision was taken to move it to F8. It's straightforward to remap it yourself with two or three CV changes but if you lmk which sounds you want at Warley I'll try and get them done in time for you.

Bif

Thanks, Bif.

Have sent you an email.

Dave.

Dave,

Bif

Hi Bif,

Is it possible to detail the CV changes to move drivelock to F8.

Bill.

Slightly more changes than I thought but not too many. Takes 10 seconds with a Lokprogrammer.

Should work on any of mine with drivelock on F15. I'm working my way through all the diesels (50+!) moving it to F8.

Change the following in this order;

CV31 to 16

32 to 2

477 to 16

478 to 2

31 to 16

32 to 3

333 to 0

334 to 128

Bif

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bif.

Just wondering if there was a list of projects that have currently got the drivelock features added for purchase as of now?

And secondly, and I'll try and make this not sound creepy, but where abouts and on which stand might you be hiding at Warley?

Matt,

In recent weeks I have paused development of new sounds in order to bring all my existing ones up to the same high standard. Part of this has been the addition of drivelock (and moving it to F8), but also slow-fade lights on heritage locos and units, sound fade in/out on the move, a new 'auto-buffering' feature, CV-readable version numbers and so on. In answer to your question, all diesel locos have now been done. The same updates are now being applied to the remaining projects (diesel and electric units, and electric locos) but drivelock isn't appropriate to many of them.

'Auto-buffering' is an improvement to my existing buffering-up feature on F4 to make it easier to operate. With the existing method you have to turn the throttle down and press F4 at exactly the right moment (ie two actions) in order to achieve a convincing buffering up. With the new method you can press F4 to 'prime' the sound anytime the loco is moving (eg when you are approaching the stock). The buffering-up sound is then produced automatically just as the loco stops. Makes it a bit easier to get it right. Pressing F4 when stationary still gives you the coupling hook sound. The buffering up and coupling hook sounds are 'randomised' to add interest.

Project version numbers can now be read via CV105, no need to read the white label!

At Warley I shall be on the DC Kits / Realtrack Models stand with Charlie as usual.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply Biff.

The DC Kits website alludes to 'new dynamic features' on some products, however the function key layouts suggest this isn't the new drivelock feature at present. Understandable if you're wanting to get all the products locked down with the new additions before advertising as so, I just wanted to seek clarification as I'll be attempting my first sound retrofit next, and would like it to have all the features currently on offer (naturally).

On the subject of which, if one were to make a purchase from you at said exhibition, would a pre-order with you be neccessary? or does stock permit to merely turn up and purchase as required? Same question applies for a Bachmann Sound 37 re-blow.

We carry good stocks at Warley and can also reblow there but as you can imagine it gets really really busy and it's also difficult to predict exactly what will sell. It helps us if you can pre-order and also guarantees you get what you want.

Although I take several programmers, reblowing is relatively slow so there's a limit on how many I can do in a day. If you send your chip to me in good time I can reblow it ready for collection at the show.

The website inevitably lag behind sometimes when updates are carried out. We do our best to make sure everyone gets the latest version when they buy though.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Thanks for the reply Biff.

The DC Kits website alludes to 'new dynamic features' on some products, however the function key layouts suggest this isn't the new drivelock feature at present. Understandable if you're wanting to get all the products locked down with the new additions before advertising as so, I just wanted to seek clarification as I'll be attempting my first sound retrofit next, and would like it to have all the features currently on offer (naturally).

On the subject of which, if one were to make a purchase from you at said exhibition, would a pre-order with you be neccessary? or does stock permit to merely turn up and purchase as required? Same question applies for a Bachmann Sound 37 re-blow.

This is great news.

Good development ideas as well.

Looking forward to collecting my already ordered new chips at Warley. (Hoping Charlie will have a Decoder Tester at the show.)

Dave Smith

And now the GOOD NEWS.

The 'DRIVELOCK' has been added to all our 'Legomanbiffo' range including Classes 03 to 73 including the Janus Shunter, the Website is lagging behind somewhat, so some projects still show F8 as Spirax Valves, this is INCORRECT as all now have 'DRIVELOCK' on F8.  The Website will catch up when I get time to do it.   Charlie.

Slightly more changes than I thought but not too many. Takes 10 seconds with a Lokprogrammer.

Should work on any of mine with drivelock on F15. I'm working my way through all the diesels (50+!) moving it to F8.

Change the following in this order;

CV31 to 16

32 to 2

477 to 16

478 to 2

31 to 16

32 to 3,,

333 to 0

334 to 128

Bif

I take Bif I need to use the Lokprogrammer to alter these CV's ???????

Bill.

The above is a list of CV changes. You normally set CVs such as 3 & 4 (acceleration) from the throttle. These look simply like different CVs from what most of us are used to dealing with. I don't see why setting them should be any more difficult than CV 3, 4 or 27.

You would need Lokprogrammer to do it the easy way. I guess you could also do it with JMRI.

Provided you have/use a DCC system that can read/write high No CV's like a Lenz 100 V3.6 or similar a Lokprog is not necessary although it fdoes make it easier.

It's important to set the Index CV's 31&32 correctly before you change any others and when your finished re-set them back to 0 before you change any of lower/normal CV's.

HTH

Ken

Bill,

You don't need a Lokprogrammer, no. They can be changed just like any other CV's by using a normal DCC Controller, JMRI, Sprog, ECoS etc or indeed a Lokprogrammer.

Bif

Yes; I simply followed your instructions using my NCE Power Cab to reprogram each CV value. 

Using JMRI or the LokProgrammer would allow the changes to be made without too much knowledge of the CVs concerned, just clicking checkboxes to swap the required function key operations, but I think your instructions were simple and clear enough  to allow anyone with a reasonable DCC system (other than a real "beginner's" system) to do the changes.

Hi,

All CV's changed and everything works just fine ! certainly gives more control of the drivelock system. Having now fitted the EM 1 and 20 x 40 speakers it has just taken DCC sound to the next level.

Bill.

Dave,

I believe the EM2's are now on a slow boat from China. We may have some EM1's for sale at Warley if they get here on time.

Bif

Please let me know Bif when the EM 1 speaker arrives - still looking for one more!

Bill.

Archived